Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

'Dear White People' director responds to neo-Nazi threats to boycott Netflix Watch

With a small number of neo-Nazis who claim to be Netflix subscribers threatening to boycott the streaming giant—claiming its new series Dear White People is somehow racist—showrunner, writer, and director Justin Simien has responded, addressing the so-called “boycott” via his Medium page.

“Equality feels like oppression to the privileged, and thus, three benign words send them into a fight for their very existence, which happens to it actually not in any real danger,” wrote the director. “This is how a minute-long date announcement becomes a distorted call for white genocide in the minds of some people. Despite all signs to the contrary.”

Simien also added a great deal of social history and commentary in his lengthy response, which included a truncated history of the word “******,” and a unique hostility that stems from guilt:

Scholars of the black American experience such as James Baldwin asserted that a kind of unexpressed guilt White people naturally felt over this often violent and ugly subjugation of their neighbors evolved into projections, fantasies and open hostility towards blacks. This hostility was then passed on pathologically through the generations.

Even the 'Black Revenge Fantasy,' itself a fantasy of white extermination at the hands of blood thirsty blacks, was crafted and spread among white people as an extension of this unexpressed guilt.

http://www.dailydot.com/upstream/dea...justin-simien/

ReputationRep:
    Yes because everyone who disagrees with this must be a neonazi

(Original post by joecphillips)
    Yes because everyone who disagrees with this must be a neonazi
    I'm surprised to see you agreeing!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so because they want to defend and preserve their race, they're "neo-nazis" now, wow, nice.

(Original post by Praefectus)
    Ah, so because they want to defend and preserve their race, they're "neo-nazis" now, wow, nice.
    Someone who wants to preserve the white race must think that whites are worth preserving, and thus must think that whites are superior to other races, and is therefore a white supremacist. AFAIK, white supremacists are pretty much synonymous with neo-Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Praefectus)
    Nobody's trying to wipe out white people. Whiteness doesn't need preserving or defending.

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Nobody's trying to wipe out white people. Whiteness doesn't need preserving or defending.
    Exactly. It would be different if people were putting whites into death camps by the millions. But this isn't happening. Instead, white populations are declining due to their own lack of desire for children. It is entirely within the hands of whites whether or not white people die out or not. Hardly a genocide.

And besides, what about this film promotes the decline of white populations? I must have missed the part of the trailer where it told white people to stay childless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Someone who wants to preserve the white race must think that whites are worth preserving, and thus must think that whites are superior to other races, and is therefore a white supremacist. AFAIK, white supremacists are pretty much synonymous with neo-Nazis.
    Without meaning to defend anyone in particular more broadly, this is pretty stupid reasoning to be honest. A lot of people want to preserve Scots Gaelic. That doesn't necessarily imply that they think it is inherently superior to other languages.

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure Praefectus didn't mention anything about not wanting to also "preserve" other races as well?

It's a natural thing to want to defend something that is part of you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with this. I don't see how wanting to preserve something means that you think it superior to anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is a Shockley biased post. The as for this program was clearly aimed at "white people". Racism goes both ways.

Here's a thought - make the jokes about black people or jews and see if it's still funny.

I have no intention of boycotting Netflix because I plan on just not watching it but calling anyone who finds this offensive a "Neo-nazi" shows how ridiculous the defence of this program is. If you feel it's comedy, satire, or making a valid point about today's culture then that's a valid view. Things like Life of brain (very funny)and borat (have never found this funny) were controversial when they came out. People have different opinions about what can and can't be put on TV/film. The good thing about this country is that we can make a film about almost anything we want.

As someone who would have been killed by the Nazi's and someone who's great grandparents had ink on them from the Nazi's(I was very young but I do remember seeing it) I have to ask that you stop using it as some kind of shield to hide behind when a group of white people say something you don't agree with. It really does cheapen the evil they committed.

The fact your display picture is Stalin, a man who killed 20 million of his own people, makes me think you're a troll but I had to say that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Let's all agree with this: it was one of the worst trailers ever, up there with Ghosbusters.

I can understand why people would find it offensive, because if you flipped the roles, it would without a doubt be called racist.

Do I think the film should be boycotted or even pulled? No, but those calling it aren't Neo-Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    You preserve a race if they happen to be endangered but the Whites™ are still at large??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airportsh8me)
    You preserve a race if they happen to be endangered but the Whites™ are still at large??
    It is simple then. Lets make whites endangered and then we can preserve them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infamous*)
    It is simple then. Lets make whites endangered and then we can preserve them!
    Ethnic cleansing must be right up your alleyway!

I think the argument is that the white population is on course for being endangered, rather than endangered atm.

After all, whites have a significantly below replacement birth rate, obviously at this rate they will eventually become extinct.

However, it would take millenia for white people to become extinct, there is no point worrying about it, its so far in the future. That's even assuming it is something to worry about, which it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Ethnic cleansing must be right up your alleyway
    why do u say that m8

Ethnic cleansing must be right up your alleyway!
    Ironically, white people have always been the best at ethnic cleansing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infamous*)
    why do u say that m8
    how else do u drive a whole race to extinction blud

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: February 19, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Should schools shut at lunch to save money?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.