Why have Blazers

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi why do some secondary schools have Blazers ? My older cousins school has a blazer and tie uniform and my school has a jumper and polo shirt uniform. My cousin hates his uniform and wished his school had a uniform like mine lol. Why are some schools insisting on having Blazers why don't all schools just have a uniform like my school ?

ReputationRep:
    Because they look smart (subjective, I know) and I guess it's customary so it's considered the norm (at least where I live and go to school)

ReputationRep:
    It makes pupils look smarter and make them feel grown up as i would wear a polo shirt and jumper in primary school. Also its useful keeping things like your phone and pen handy rather than routing though your bag

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amjam441)
    Because they look smart (subjective, I know) and I guess it's customary so it's considered the norm (at least where I live and go to school)
    Where I live my and the other secondary school both have polo shirt and jumper uniforms

ReputationRep:
    Basically most schools used to have blazers, but eventually switched to polo and jumpers in lower income area's. Eventually at some point during the 80's or 90's jumpers and polo's became the standard. Albeit during the 70's and early 80's a lot of schools, especially in low income area's didn't have uniforms at all! ABy comparison many posher schools, mostly private ones retained them.

Fast forward to the mid to late 00's, falling standards of behaviour let to some schools to switch to blazers in desperation or to attract wealthier students who generally achieve higher grades and are better behaved. Weirdly enough in schools around my area some difference in behaviour was initially noted although I dunno how it compares to my youth now. Also the polo/jumper combo was incredibly prone to scruffyness. Weirdly enough I remember why my school reintroduced the polo and only the years groups two years below us were initially require to have them. The kids who got them early were bullied horrifically, albeit I remember all the buys saying how much hotter the girls looked in a blazer and tie :lol:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsdisliker1)
    My Nan claims my uniform is more scruffy than my cousins one but she says all schools should still have a uniform like mine
    It's generally fairer on poorer students, despite what school claimed at the time the cost of blazer uniforms is generally still more expensive and the subsidies given to poorer students rarely makes up the cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    It's generally fairer on poorer students, despite what school claimed at the time the cost of blazer uniforms is generally still more expensive and the subsidies given to poorer students rarely makes up the cost.
    The other funny thing is tho there area where my cousins school is is rough and my area is ok

ReputationRep:
    Some schools just have it, some don't. We have the system in our secondary school, but I'm in 6th form so it doesn't apply to me any more, yet I often wear a suit/shirt and tie most days. The reason for us is that apparently students who stick to smart school uniform tend to perform better. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    To weed out the roadmen

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion. blazers look better by far. Where I live the standard is polo shirts and jumpers during primary school and then shirts and blazers onwards. Admittedly they can be quite expensive however, most schools I know will part subsidize a pupils uniform if their parents are genuinely unable to afford it or direct them towards places they may get it cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    Some schools just have it, some don't. We have the system in our secondary school, but I'm in 6th form so it doesn't apply to me any more, yet I often wear a suit/shirt and tie most days. The reason for us is that apparently students who stick to smart school uniform tend to perform better. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.
    Surely that's not the reason lol some schools that I go to when we have football against them look awful 😬

ReputationRep:
    Would u rather wear a shirt tie and blazer and proper leather school shoes or wear a jumper polo shirt and plain black converse ? I think my uniform is far more comfy and practical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsdisliker1)
    The other funny thing is tho there area where my cousins school is is rough and my area is ok
    Most likely why they adopted it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Most likely why they adopted it then.
    I think that school has had the same uniform for like 30 years lol mine changed the school badge before I started a couple of years ago but still the exact same uniform

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  81.0 KBMy cousin has to wear proper school shoes he hates it lol these are my school shoes :-)

ReputationRep:
    Blazers for primary school kids is horrible, it's an awful idea. I wore a polo and jumper through primary as I'm sure most people did and in my whole secondary school ive worn a blazer (minus 6 months where I went to school where we wore anything). Polo shirts are informal but still smart and blazers are smart formal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Blazers for primary school kids is horrible, it's an awful idea. I wore a polo and jumper through primary as I'm sure most people did and in my whole secondary school ive worn a blazer (minus 6 months where I went to school where we wore anything). Polo shirts are informal but still smart and blazers are smart formal
    I wore a polo shirt and jumper uniform through primary school and I wear a polo shirt and jumper uniform now at secondary school

ReputationRep:
    I will also wear my pumps instead of my converse a lot more next term

Name:  image.png
Views: 4
Size:  240.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    I think smart uniforms are a good idea. "Look smart, feel smart, work smart" my headmaster used to stay and I think there is truth in that. It's not all about comfort. By that logic, you would have onesies as school uniform.

In the workplace, it helps to look smart so it is good for kids to get used to that. It's a fair point about cost but what happens when those kids are going to a job interview and they don't even know how to tie a tie? My school had shirt, tie and jumper which is the best of both worlds.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 18, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
American or British/European: what type of pancakes do you like?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.