Wrong to Accept Offer then Decline? Watch

Matador23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was admitted to the LSE the other month and I have been weighing carefully whether to accept the offer and go ahead to grad school.

Although, I've had some 2nd thoughts about going to grad school in general. However, I feel alot of pressure to take the offer and time is now ticking since housing apps have opened and I need to apply for a visa(I am a non-UK/EU student).

As of now I am thinking I am going to accept then try to defer.

Would it be burn any future chance of me being accepted to the LSE if I accepted then eventually forfeited my current offer? Would it be viewed as unethical to accept an offer then eventually decline it later down the road?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Matador23)
Standard practice in the UK is to accept offers until you have the right set of responses to enable you to make the best decision for your circumstances, then decline all the previous acceptances except the one you really want.

The downside to this is that if you accept, then reject very late on in the cycle your place cannot be re-offered, but by and large, universities have a lot of experience of offer:real acceptance rates for each course and they can accommodate this behaviour. The further issue is if you accept an offer with a financial package (scholarship/bursary) and then reject later, you may deprive someone else of the money. However, if universities want to ensure an acceptance means yes, then they ask for a deposit.

Universities don't bear grudges. If you withdraw this year, you re-apply afresh next year. Some of the most competitive courses/unis don't offer deferments, preferring to measure each applicant by the competition in year.
Matador23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Standard practice in the UK is to accept offers until you have the right set of responses to enable you to make the best decision for your circumstances, then decline all the previous acceptances except the one you really want.

The downside to this is that if you accept, then reject very late on in the cycle your place cannot be re-offered, but by and large, universities have a lot of experience of offer:real acceptance rates for each course and they can accommodate this behaviour. The further issue is if you accept an offer with a financial package (scholarship/bursary) and then reject later, you may deprive someone else of the money. However, if universities want to ensure an acceptance means yes, then they ask for a deposit.

Universities don't bear grudges. If you withdraw this year, you re-apply afresh next year. Some of the most competitive courses/unis don't offer deferments, preferring to measure each applicant by the competition in year.
Ok,

So it won't burn bridges then if I accept an offer from a dept then drop it later on?

I know LSE only requires a deposit for deferrals(if granted). Which is the route I'm thinking I'll try to go down as of now.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Matador23)
Ok,

So it won't burn bridges then if I accept an offer from a dept then drop it later on?

I know LSE only requires a deposit for deferrals(if granted). Which is the route I'm thinking I'll try to go down as of now.
Nope, no bridges burnt, sadly at this stage you are little more than a number on a page!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads