The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Goldsmiths or westminster?

Hello everyone, this is Aashi from India. I have been accepted to study at both University of Westminster and Goldsmiths for MA in global media and communications. I have done the research part for the colleges. Any experiences or suggestions please? I'd be glad. Also I have applied to LSE and erasmus and still waiting for their reply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Goldsmiths is a bit higher up the rankings then Westminster, and is slightly more well-known, so probably go for that one. Westminster is a pretty poorly-ranked university.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Wait for LSE as it'll be the best option for you. These 2 places aren't worth going to.

Maybe have a look at KCL & UCL or QMUL which are very good institutions to go for ^_^
Westminster is good
Reply 4
Original post by Sammy2534
Wait for LSE as it'll be the best option for you. These 2 places aren't worth going to.

Maybe have a look at KCL & UCL or QMUL which are very good institutions to go for ^_^

KCL, UCL and QMUL don't offer the course I want to study, that is why I applied to the other ones and yes waiting for Lse. Also, are they really this bad? Please tell me few reasons why do you say that.
Reply 5
Original post by kaylababesxx
Westminster is good

Are you a former or current student there?
Reply 6
Original post by Aashi1295
KCL, UCL and QMUL don't offer the course I want to study, that is why I applied to the other ones and yes waiting for Lse. Also, are they really this bad? Please tell me few reasons why do you say that.

Oh sorry I didn't know these courses are not offered at those 3 uni. In this case I think you should wait for LSE first and then put Goldsmith as insurance since as at least its overall reputation still beats Westminster quite significantly. I've seen from several league tables and found that Westminster has performed quite poorly in all rankings so that's why I discourage you to go.

I really wish you a successful application at LSE and look forward to seeing you there (I've just accepted their offer for Management postgrad) ^_^
Reply 7
Oh sorry I didn't know these courses are not offered at those 3 uni. In this case I think you should wait for LSE first and then put Goldsmith as insurance since as at least its overall reputation still beats Westminster quite significantly. I've seen from several league tables and found that Westminster has performed quite poorly in all rankings so that's why I discourage you to go.

I really wish you a successful application at LSE and look forward to seeing you there (I've just accepted their offer for Management postgrad) ^_^

Ya, you're right. And sorry to interrupt you again but the qs latest rankings show that Goldsmiths has somehow jumped from 27th to 8th position worldwide for communication and media studies. It's really shocking and Westminster has dropped down further according to 2017 rankings which got out yesterday. And university of amsterdam has secured 2nd position. One more thing, do you have any idea about erasmus? Like I applied for a joint programme of University of Amsterdam and Aarhus there and got offer for it. Any suggestions? Thank you once again.
Reply 8
Original post by Aashi1295
Ya, you're right. And sorry to interrupt you again but the qs latest rankings show that Goldsmiths has somehow jumped from 27th to 8th position worldwide for communication and media studies. It's really shocking and Westminster has dropped down further according to 2017 rankings which got out yesterday. And university of amsterdam has secured 2nd position. One more thing, do you have any idea about erasmus? Like I applied for a joint programme of University of Amsterdam and Aarhus there and got offer for it. Any suggestions? Thank you once again.

Hi again ^_^

I'm from South-east Asia so I have little ideas about universities in European countries. Anyway I've heard University of Amsterdam is a widely recognized university and possibly better than Goldsmiths in terms of overall reputation so you definitely have a nice choice to put as insurance while waiting for LSE ^_^
Reply 9
Okay I am sorry but last opinion cuz this is really difficult.

Goldsmiths has better modules to offer and erasmus has amsterdam and aarhus?
Hi again ^_^

I'm from South-east Asia so I have little ideas about universities in European countries. Anyway I've heard University of Amsterdam is a widely recognized university and possibly better than Goldsmiths in terms of overall reputation so you definitely have a nice choice to put as insurance while waiting for LSE ^_^
Reply 10
Any thoughts about choosing between goldsmiths and erasmus programme?

QUOTE=LeapingLucy;70146270]Goldsmiths is a bit higher up the rankings then Westminster, and is slightly more well-known, so probably go for that one. Westminster is a pretty poorly-ranked university.
Hii ashi I am also looking for the same programme, which one did you choose? And did goldsmith offered you a scholarship?
Original post by Yukta_23
Hii ashi I am also looking for the same programme, which one did you choose? And did goldsmith offered you a scholarship?

Goldsmiths College is the obvious choice. Because it is part of London University!!! :biggrin:
That’s so great… how was your experience can you please tell me more and did you have a interview ?

Original post by thegeek888
Goldsmiths College is the obvious choice. Because it is part of London University!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply