Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A documented DNR in medical notes is different to a scrap of paper in a pocket though. Doctors ultimately have the power to decide whether or not to attempt resus.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that an abortion could be given upto the point of birth if the child was disabled.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    I thought that an abortion could be given upto the point of birth if the child was disabled.... :confused:
    I am not 100% up to date on this, but I'm almost certain that's not true.

ReputationRep:
    It's not true.

Can't remember the exact no of weeks, but it used to be 24 weeks. May ahve been lowered now.

ReputationRep:
    Although the legal limit for abortion of a normal foetus is 24 weeks, a Down's syndrome baby is classed as having the potential for severe mental or physical abnormality and can legally be aborted at any time during pregnancy.
    BBC Link - 1999

ReputationRep:
    actually, i take that back...

Statutory grounds for abortion...

1. It reduces the risk to the woman's life.

2. To preserve the woman's physical or mental health.

3. To protect the woman's other child(ren) if emotionally or economically threatened.

4. If the child, if born, would suffer a severe handicap.

5. An emergency decision, usually to preserve health or life.

Point 1 technically covers all terminations since this is safer than childbirth, but 90% of abortions are carried out under point 2.

Of the points above, 2 and 3 are restricted by the 1991 bill which prevents abortion of fetuses older than 24 weeks gestation. Point 2 may be applied after 24 weeks if the potential injury is considered to be grave.
    http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepa...D=239&cook=yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I am not 100% up to date on this, but I'm almost certain that's not true.
    I think you were right with 28 weeks for disabled babies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I think you were right with 28 weeks for disabled babies.
    Did you read my last post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    BBC Link - 1999
    It seems this is right, according to Marie Stopes and some other site I can't remember - "Abortion is legal in the UK up to the 24th week of pregnancy. However, if there is a substantial risk to the woman's life or if there are foetal abnormalities there is no time limit."

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Did you read my last post?
    No.

But I have now, but I think to get it done right at the end of the preganancy you'd need extraordinary circumstances and may even have difficulty finding a someone to perform the termination.

ReputationRep:
    Finding 1 doctor will be hard enough, nevermind 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    No.

But I have now, but I think to get it done right at the end of the preganancy you'd need extraordinary circumstances and may even have difficulty finding a someone to perform the termination.
    Yeah, I wouldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not saying if a doc would be willing to perform an abortion, just that it's legal.

Had to research all this for coursework, now I've read so many differing opinions on abortion and the laws surrounding it, I find it difficult forming my own opinions. Thank you education

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wouldn't do it.
    Apparantly that's why so many gynaecologists go into IVF treatment etc, they want to create rather than end life.

ReputationRep:
    It seems this is right, according to Marie Stopes and some other site I can't remember - "Abortion is legal in the UK up to the 24th week of pregnancy. However, if there is a substantial risk to the woman's life or if there are foetal abnormalities there is no time limit."

:eek:
    Makes sense.

While I don't know of what might cause a situation like this, if the choice is simply mother lives, or both die then at any point it would be reasonable to save the mothers life.

You could argue similar situations might be found on the battlefield. A guy on your side has been shot, and is unlikely to survive. His screams are attracting enemy attention and you are outnumbered. Would you shoot him, to keep him from disclosing your location?

ReputationRep:
    At 8 months though, the choice would be c. section in attempt to save mother rather than abortion!!! At 8 months, the baby has an excellent chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    I find it difficult forming my own opinions. Thank you education
    pro-lifers are now finding it a hell of a lot easier to argue, due to the recent 3D 'human-like' imaging of the fetus taken just a few weeks after the start of gestration.

will be interested in future studies into the perception of pain pre-28 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    in the first scenario, i'd probably let him go- it's his decision, nobody can quibble with that, not even his daughter. i'd have to make sure the card he carried did belong to him though

in the 2nd scenario- it would be too much of a threat to her own life to abortthe baby- she might as well have it (be knocked out if she doesnt want to remember having it) and then give it up for adoption if she wishes

ReputationRep:
    If he's in such a bad way, the decision to resus may need to be instant - you simply won't have time to 'check the card is his'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    What would you do if some guy carried a card saying "do not resuscitate". You were a doctor, he's rushed rushed into A&E, his daughter is with him, and she begs you to not let him die. If you don't resuscitate, a young girl will lose her daddy, if you do, you've broken medical ethics.
    I would revive him if I could because I think that he would probably rather be alive than responsible for the death of his grandchild

Some woman is raped, she's kept locked up for 8 months, then released. She's pregnant with the rapist's child. It's up to you to grant her an abortion, do you force her to give birth to the child, or abort an almost fully developed child?
    I would give her a ceasarian section and deliver the baby she doesn't have to see the baby or anything like that if she doesn't want to. However I wouldn't sanction an abortion this late. She would have to give birth to the dead baby anyway which would be traumatic.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.