Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hypothetical "what would you do"s watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    What would you do if some guy carried a card saying "do not resuscitate". You were a doctor, he's rushed rushed into A&E, his daughter is with him, and she begs you to not let him die. If you don't resuscitate, a young girl will lose her daddy, if you do, you've broken medical ethics.

Some woman is raped, she's kept locked up for 8 months, then released. She's pregnant with the rapist's child. It's up to you to grant her an abortion, do you force her to give birth to the child, or abort an almost fully developed child?
    Both of these scenarios are concerned with the boundary between life and death. In both situations, the individuals give more value to death (be it the man, or the child); they see it to be desirable, but looking at it from a broader perspective, would it be desirable for every person to feel like this? To place more value on death because it doesn't suit them? Breaking medical ethics isn't as bad as breaking life ethics, and killing that man (because that's what it is), or killing a child practically ready for arrival, both do just that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Some woman is raped, she's kept locked up for 8 months, then released. She's pregnant with the rapist's child. It's up to you to grant her an abortion, do you force her to give birth to the child, or abort an almost fully developed child?
    Force her to give birth to it and put it up for adoption.

ReputationRep:
    Here are my favourites:

A man was wrongly convicted of murder and sentenced a number of years in prison for that murder. When he came out of prison he discovered the person he was supposed to have killed is still alive and thus kills him because he has already served the sentence for that murder. Would you now put him in prison again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    A man was wrongly convicted of murder and sentenced a number of years in prison for that murder. When he came out of prison he discovered the person he was supposed to have killed is still alive and thus kills him because he has already served the sentence for that murder. Would you now put him in prison again?
    No, but I would sure as hell go kill the judge that put me in prision for murdering someone that isn't dead.

ReputationRep:
    1) I'd surreptitiously switch his DNR card for one of these, and then have my wicked way with him.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Here are my favourites:

He can be compensated for the first imprisonment but he knew that killing him would be wrong in any case so yes, he should have to pay the price. After all, he's not the one who's dead, is he?

ReputationRep:
    Here are my favourites:

yeah this is one of those age old arguments that you cant put someone on trial for the same offence (or something along those lines).

however as the offence stated the 2nd time round occurs at a different time, the murderer should be tried again.

however the outcome of the trial should be such that he has already served the given sentence already, thus he would not need to repeat the sentence as he has already done the time

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.