fizzbizz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys

I barely use this but I could really use some advice. I currently hold a grad offer for PwC Technology Consultancy, and a couple of grad offers from IT companies (namely Atos and Fujitsu). It would have been a straight forward decision to choose PwC, except their starting salary is significantly lower compared to the other two. We're talking around a £6/7k difference.

I guess what I want to know is whether or not the Big 4 is worth it for Tech? Is it really worth the significant pay cut?

I am aware that the salary at PwC rises sharply after 3 years at the firm, perhaps to a higher salary to what 3 years at either Atos or Fujitsu would get me.. but 3 years is a long time haha

Any advice would be appreciated!
Kravence
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fizzbizz)
Hi guys

I barely use this but I could really use some advice. I currently hold a grad offer for PwC Technology Consultancy, and a couple of grad offers from IT companies (namely Atos and Fujitsu). It would have been a straight forward decision to choose PwC, except their starting salary is significantly lower compared to the other two. We're talking around a £6/7k difference.

I guess what I want to know is whether or not the Big 4 is worth it for Tech? Is it really worth the significant pay cut?

I am aware that the salary at PwC rises sharply after 3 years at the firm, perhaps to a higher salary to what 3 years at either Atos or Fujitsu would get me.. but 3 years is a long time haha

Any advice would be appreciated!
Measure how much you would earn from these companies in 5 years and then compare the pros and cons of working at said company to decide.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What kind of jobs are each offering you?

My experience of consultants is that they're hit and miss with their analyses and recommendations, and they have little ability to actually DO things rather than talk strategically about them. They don't know how to deliver projects, realise benefits and this is where you draw the line.

If you really want to be a technology expert, I'd have thought working within the tech industry through an established technology company would be a good start. Consulting can give you an excellent insight in to companies and trends, but will you really get involved in the nitty gritty? Will you actually make any decisions?

I'd have a close look at the development opportunities. I'd rather own a few projects end to end and see them fly, rather than switch around serving different clients. The most useful consultants I've met actually worked within the industry at one time. I guess I see it more as a seasoned professional role.

I imagine at PWC you'll be travelling all over the country and won't have a single base. It's a lifestyle choice to consider.

As I've said many times on this forum, I would not worry about salary at this nascent stage of your career. Salaries come with skills and experience. You should focus on what you'll learn, skills you'll gain, development and training opportunities you'll be given - how structured is their grad programme? Warren Buffet took his first job for nothing, because he got the chance to work for something he was passionate about and knew he'd gain priceless experience. You're trying to build your "human capital". You'll be rewarded as your grow through your career. If growth dries up, move roles or companies. You'll be in a far better position to command a higher salary this way.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (302)
55.72%
I don't have everything I need (240)
44.28%

Watched Threads