The Student Room Group

Do universities give out offers including EPQ?

I have applied to do medicine at 4 universities. I'm currently studying A-levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry (classic medicine subjects) and am doing an EPQ as well. I am wondering whether a conditional university offer will include my EPQ as well as my other A-levels? (For example: An offer of a place if I achieved AAA as well as an A in EPQ). I'm asking as it's just adding extra stress to my already stressful subjects and if they don't include it in my offer, I would consider dropping it.
Most Universities will state if they will give you a lower offer based on your EPQ, check the websites of those you applied to or email them.
Original post by SamRylance2
I have applied to do medicine at 4 universities. I'm currently studying A-levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry (classic medicine subjects) and am doing an EPQ as well. I am wondering whether a conditional university offer will include my EPQ as well as my other A-levels? (For example: An offer of a place if I achieved AAA as well as an A in EPQ). I'm asking as it's just adding extra stress to my already stressful subjects and if they don't include it in my offer, I would consider dropping it.

Most unis don't look at epq 😌 It's nice to talk about in the interview but they wouldn't ask for a grade for it in your offer!!

Probably not for the top unis but I suppose it will carry weight in terms of personal statement and or interview.

And unless you are doing realising opportunities you don't need to get anything more than a C

Some unis do like Bath.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Some unis do like Bath.

Bath don't offer medicine. Most medical schools don't require a grade from the epq when I researched
Original post by rosie.mn
Most Universities will state if they will give you a lower offer based on your EPQ, check the websites of those you applied to or email them.

EPQ wont lower offers for medicine
Original post by bex.anne
EPQ wont lower offers for medicine

I didn't say that they would. I said that their EPQ policy will be stated on their website.
Original post by jessop140
Bath don't offer medicine. Most medical schools don't require a grade from the epq when I researched

ngl I only read the title and not the post, my bad.
Reply 9
What was your final view as to whether to do an epq?? My son in same position and we would love to know what you did in the end. Thanks
Original post by MamaG21
What was your final view as to whether to do an epq?? My son in same position and we would love to know what you did in the end. Thanks

Hi there,

This has brought back an old thread and memory aha. It's interesting to see a snapshot of when I was so anxious about getting a place. Well, I got a place and am halfway through my third year of Med School now. What I'd say is, if he's interested in a topic then it's a good thing to write in your personal statement and something they can ask you about at interviews. I finished my EPQ, but didn't put the greatest amount of effort in and got a B. The university wouldn't care about that as long as the other subjects are fine.

Doing an EPQ has not affected my life at all since then and wouldn't have made a difference if I did it or not to be honest. The only reason I'd recommend doing it is if you want something a little extra for personal statement and interview - otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. And if he did decide to do it, then I wouldn't stress at all about doing exceptionally well in it.

Hope that was helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending