entry routes into british politics Watch

gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
how exactly can you get involved in politics? i'm interested in trying to break into politics or the treasury later on in my career to dedicate a part of my life to public service. my question is what are some of the common avenues into the field.

a bit about my background and what experience i would have after which i'd want to convert:

- family were asylum seekers, but now british citizen (wasn't born in this country)
- upbringing wasn't the poshest (low income - deprived - recieved free school meal for early part of my life etc..)
- eductional background: bachelors degree in finance
- would have experience in investment banking and hopefully a small buy-side fund managing investor money

i have some exposure to parliament in the sense of undertaking an internship in political journalism. i have links to some big names in political journalism, and wrote/published few articles for some national papers, but not sure how these connections would help in the actual public service side of things.

irregardless, i would like to get invovled in my constituence, but i'm not sure how i can go about getting any tangiable experience. i try and do some charitable work, and help out some developmental organisations and have previous voluntary experiences in youth clubs around my borough, but where do i go to leverage this?

i've applied to work for local MPs, although haven't had much success, and given i'll be graduating and starting my grad job, i won't have time to volunteer in the upcoming years.

in terms of my areas of interest: social development / youth employment (early stage careers) / fiscal policy.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Go to your local party meeting place. 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You could join a political party if you haven't done so already and you should be able to get involved with campaigning and party events. Applying to do work for an MP is ofc not easy even though I was fortunate enough to secure work experience with mine. As with charity work etc that is something you can do and it shouldn't be hard to get involved.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Get down to your local party office and work out whose are needs to be sucked to get you recommended for jobs higher up the food chain. Rinse and repeat till you have lost all sense of personal morality, identity or opinion, essentially becoming a fleshy mouthpiece for whatever your party line is and you'll be well on your way to political stardom.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Join a political party - and go to local meetings.

Join demonstrations (ie. against Brexit etc).

Go to relevant lectures or watch podcasts ( https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/)
Al-farhan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
how exactly can you get involved in politics? i'm interested in trying to break into politics or the treasury later on in my career to dedicate a part of my life to public service. my question is what are some of the common avenues into the field.

a bit about my background and what experience i would have after which i'd want to convert:

- family were asylum seekers, but now british citizen (wasn't born in this country)
- upbringing wasn't the poshest (low income - deprived - recieved free school meal for early part of my life etc..)
- eductional background: bachelors degree in finance
- would have experience in investment banking and hopefully a small buy-side fund managing investor money

i have some exposure to parliament in the sense of undertaking an internship in political journalism. i have links to some big names in political journalism, and wrote/published few articles for some national papers, but not sure how these connections would help in the actual public service side of things.

irregardless, i would like to get invovled in my constituence, but i'm not sure how i can go about getting any tangiable experience. i try and do some charitable work, and help out some developmental organisations and have previous voluntary experiences in youth clubs around my borough, but where do i go to leverage this?

i've applied to work for local MPs, although haven't had much success, and given i'll be graduating and starting my grad job, i won't have time to volunteer in the upcoming years.

in terms of my areas of interest: social development / youth employment (early stage careers) / fiscal policy.

Join a party ( they will ask you to pay a membership fee) you will then start to get emails about party activities and local events.
Go to you local MP office and express interest in helping out or taking an active role in helping out. You may get to accompany the MP/party members in their face to face/door knocking campaigns during elections. From there onward it is just climbing up the ladder depending on how hard you work, how active you are in the party and how social you are (going to meets, party events , getting names and cards...etc)
One final thing if your MP believes you can help secure votes esp in your local area/community that will also help you secure influence and a name in the local branch.
Therec00
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

If you want to make a difference - don't become an MP.

People listen to journalists, authors, and other people far more. And they have more influence on the way people think .
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Therec00)
If you want to make a difference - don't become an MP.

People listen to journalists, authors, and other people far more. And they have more influence on the way people think .
actually journalism was one avenue i was considering
Therec00
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
actually journalism was one avenue i was considering
Most youtube bloggers have more impact than most politicians.

The possibilities are endless
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (294)
65.63%
No (154)
34.38%

Watched Threads