olivialexie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Bit off topic, but wondering if anyone who is already a vetmed student can help. I rescue animals (have done for years) and have worked alongside RSPCA in the past as a temporary foster home for exotics in particular.

Since applying to uni and realising I wanted to pursue veterinary medicine I've stopped taking new animals as it gets harder and harder to find homes for them but I have a few at the moment (a couple of geckos, bearded dragon) who I can't rehome for various health-related reasons and wondered if there are any universities at all that have some kind of leeway when it comes to keeping pets.
I've looked into private renting but know it wouldn't be possible on just student loans however I am stuck as I can't rehome them nor do I want to unless its completely necessary as with their current health issues it wouldn't be viable.

I've been reading student housing agreements for some unis and certain ones say things like "You must not have or keep pets in the Accommodation that could harm the Accommodation, affect subsequent tenants or be a nuisance to other tenants" well reptiles would not harm the accommodation or affect any other tenants, so would these be allowed? The only thing I can think of is if they said that the vivariums were a fire risk (which is a bit of a stretch) but my reply would be they are all hooked up to thermostats which cut off if there's an electrical problem to prevent this and would all be PAT tested beforehand if required.

I understand dogs, cats, some small mammals etc would not be allowed but cannot think of how a reptile that lives in a vivarium could cause harm to the accommodation?

Any advice appreciated!
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by olivialexie)
Bit off topic, but wondering if anyone who is already a vetmed student can help. I rescue animals (have done for years) and have worked alongside RSPCA in the past as a temporary foster home for exotics in particular.

Since applying to uni and realising I wanted to pursue veterinary medicine I've stopped taking new animals as it gets harder and harder to find homes for them but I have a few at the moment (a couple of geckos, bearded dragon) who I can't rehome for various health-related reasons and wondered if there are any universities at all that have some kind of leeway when it comes to keeping pets.
I've looked into private renting but know it wouldn't be possible on just student loans however I am stuck as I can't rehome them nor do I want to unless its completely necessary as with their current health issues it wouldn't be viable.

I've been reading student housing agreements for some unis and certain ones say things like "You must not have or keep pets in the Accommodation that could harm the Accommodation, affect subsequent tenants or be a nuisance to other tenants" well reptiles would not harm the accommodation or affect any other tenants, so would these be allowed? The only thing I can think of is if they said that the vivariums were a fire risk (which is a bit of a stretch) but my reply would be they are all hooked up to thermostats which cut off if there's an electrical problem to prevent this and would all be PAT tested beforehand if required.

I understand dogs, cats, some small mammals etc would not be allowed but cannot think of how a reptile that lives in a vivarium could cause harm to the accommodation?

Any advice appreciated!
You would have to ask them. If you assume it wouldn't be a problem and then you get caught, and it is a problem then you could land yourself in a bit of trouble and the possibility of being kicked out of your accommodation. It's not just fire hazards etc you have to consider, you also have to consider your flat mates/anyone you may be sharing with, which is another factor involved in accommodation reasoning behind not allowing pets - They may not like reptiles.The only way you'll get an answer for sure will be to actually ask the accommodation company yourself. If they say no then you'll have to come up with an alternative, if they say yes then you won't have an issue. Don't be afraid to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lwescott
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You'll need to ask the accommodation offices with specifics but I expect the answer will be no. We weren't allowed pets in halls but I had a pet chicken and lots of people had hamsters which were hidden during planned room inspections but three vivs will be harder to hide.
You also need to factor in the cost of heat lamps and UV which may be tricky in a bills included house, or a house share where bills are usually split equally.

You should be able to find private accommodation which allows pets, our landlord did and would often come and see them; he wasn't best overjoyed at the pet lambs in the kitchen, but they weren't there for long.
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Speaking from experience based on RVC accommodation:

None of the halls here allow pets. Maintenance/security are also entitled to enter your room at any point, so hiding animals can be difficult. They sometimes give notice for inspections but they don't have to and didn't more often than they did. That said, I know several people that were able to keep hamsters, gerbils, snakes and gekkos in their rooms without any apparent repercussions. One of my friends even managed to keep his dog in halls for two weeks! However that was one of the more laid back halls (read: owned by the university, not a private company).

I would worry about the logistics of what you are planning. The rooms in halls aren't huge; one viv might be fine but three is pushing it. Assuming that you'd be going home for Christmas and Easter, that's three times that you'd also have to transport them in and out of your flat without anybody who cares too much seeing.

Provided that you can find some housemates, private accommodation might be cheaper than you think. I'm a second year vet now; last year I was in halls but this year I rent privately and I now pay £50 less per week! Granted that doesn't include utility bills, but the price difference is still easily £40-45 per week.

Honestly I would say that it's best for your pets if you don't come with you I can relate, I had to give away my pets to my mother when I moved out and it absolutely broke my heart, but I knew there was no way that I would be able to afford to support them (another consideration - how well would your student loan cover an emergency vet bill/ongoing treatment costs if they have health problems like you mentioned), have the space for them, or be able to dedicate the time they deserved

If you're dead set on living in halls, perhaps one suggestion could be to see if any older years would be able to foster your animals for a year, then you could have them back when you move out of halls and into private accommodation. Again it isn't ideal, but I'm sure there would be interest and they would be in good hands from other vets. It wouldn't solve the problem of cost because if it was only fostering rather than homing I would expect you to still have to pay for food, vet bills etc (and chip in a bit for power, it's charged per megawatt hour so it would be fairly easy to figure out how much).

Best of luck with whatever you choose, I know it is a horrible choice to have to make
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At Liverpool we weren't allowed pets in halls. Of course some people kept them and hid the hamsters etc away during room inspections but if they find you then you may be forced to either leave or quickly find a home for your pets which has also happened to some vet students at my uni

In private accommodation some landlords would allow pets but not every landlord would.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (327)
34.57%
No (619)
65.43%

Watched Threads