Why didn't Britain provide military aid at the Siege of Vienna?

Watch
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
All Christian nations are obligated to help against a muslim invasion, dont you think so?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Vienna
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If I remember correctly, England under Henry VIII was already fighting wars against France around this period. By 1527, he was also looking to break away from the Catholic Church seeing as he wanted to get divorced from from Catherine of Aragon due to her inability to produce a male heir. I'd imagine that, because of this, England wouldn't have been particularly welcome even if Henry had wanted to help. The English Reformation massively soured the relationship between most of Catholic Europe & England.

However, I don't know all that much about the foreign policy of the Tudors towards the Ottomans or the Middle East as a whole & I can't remember it specifically ever being mentioned in class so I'm taking an educated guess here rather than knowing for absolute certainty. If someone knows more then feel free to correct me.
Cato the Elder
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This should be in the history section.

Also, in 1683 Charles II was on the throne and Parliament had just been dissolved in the aftermath of the Exclusion Crisis. Bar the Siege of Vienna being far away and Britain being Protestant, Parliament would never have granted the money for such an expedition, and in fact could not have since it wasn't sitting. The country was far too small, weak and preoccupied with its own problems to offer any help to the Holy League. And Charles II had had his fair share of foreign policy disasters in his reign, so getting into another foreign entanglement would not have been wise.

Gone were the days when all Christian nations were obligated to go to one another's aid. Even Catholic France didn't help. Louis XIV had no intention of helping his hated rival, the Emperor Leopold of Austria, against Ottoman Turkey, a long-standing ally of France.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
All Christian nations are obligated to help against a muslim invasion, dont you think so?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Vienna
I would certainly prefer to be invaded by those Turks, than by the modern Saudis. Ottoman Empire was pretty liberal on the subject of religion for that time.

During the other Siege of Vienna (1683), muslim descendants of Tatars from the Golden Horde and Crimea, that lived in The Republic of Both Nations, were a part of the Polish Army that took part in relief for the city. And guess, what, Polish muslim Tatars were killing Crimean muslim Tatars, not the first, nor the last time in history.

Though Poland and Turkey fought against each other several times, the two countries also lived in peace for long periods of time, and a muslim Crimean Khanate that attacked the the Republic's boarders several times, also supported the country in some wars against Russia and Sweden, in many of which, the Christian invaders from Russia and Sweden brought death and destruction on scale comparable to the World War II, as the invading armies were often practically killing anyone they met on their road, stealing everything that can be moved, and destroing everything else.

In 1772 Austria, Prussia and Russia started the Partitions of Poland. And guess what, Turkey was the only country that raised it's head and protested against it.

If you ever heard about the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, it started when Hungarians in the Budapest gathered nearby a monument of " the uncle" general Bem. - A national hero of Poland and Hungary, that spent the last two years of his life in Turkey, working on production of artillery for the Turkish army, as he hoped that the Ottoman Empire will bring freedom to Hungary in Poland, as both countries prooved too weak to defeat their occupiers on their own.
A couple of years before Bem's arrival in Turkey, the Polonezkoy village was founded in that country, so the Poles and other nations that fled from territiories of occupied Poland had a place to live where they could speak their own language and practise their own religion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (112)
13.86%
I'm not sure (36)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (246)
30.45%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (394)
48.76%

Watched Threads