The Student Room Group

Aussie moving to UK - Edinburgh or Bristol?

Hi guys,

I am sure you get heaps of these topics so forgive me but I only have another week or so to decide on a city between these two.

I am moving to the UK on an Ancestry Visa. I have just completed my degree here in Australia.

I have narrowed it down to Edinburgh or Bristol. The size of these cities appeals to me.

I have heard amazing things about Edinburgh, the green spaces, architecture, ease of getting a job and so forth. The darkness and weather is a turn off but I can tolerate this as I lived in Sweden for a year. Bristol, on the other hand, seems like a nice option due to proximity to London, warmer weather, and it seems trendy with a lot going for it.

It is important I find a job quickly on arrival as my Ancestry Visa is a working visa. Likewise, the ability to find a house share quickly is a plus. Other than that, a diverse / multicultural city with a decent nightlife, and a city that looks nice / appealing are important. I assume from previous research that cost of living is more or less the same for the two cities?

I assume many students on here have travelled a lot so it seems appropriate to ask here. It would be a pain to move country to one city, and six months later move again because I didn't make a great choice.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. :smile: Thanks in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd choose Edinburgh in your shoes. Much better public transport and easier to travel elsewhere when you want to.
Reply 2
Original post by KingHarold
I'd choose Edinburgh in your shoes. Much better public transport and easier to travel elsewhere when you want to.

Good point! I heard the public transport in Bristol wasn't the best?

Quick Reply

Latest