The Student Room Group

Introverts: Would this offend you?

If a friend who you have been close to for the majority of your life starts making regular comments such as:

"You never talk" (even though the two of you have had lots of deep conversation together over the years).

"You're practically invisible"

"Nobody knows who you are"

"You're such a weirdo"

"The only thing you do with your life is study"

"Go and kill yourself" (When you get an A on a test and they get an E)

"You're going to get an A aren't you because you're little miss perfect"

"You're such a fatty" (even though they're like twice my weight)

"Oh look at you getting involved" (when you join in a conversation)

"Oh check you integrating" (when you're sat with a group of people you don't normally sit with).

I had a friend constantly saying these things to me last year even though we'd been "best friends" since Year 7 and it was getting me down so I decided to just stop having anything to do with them.
Am I just being oversensitive or was this genuinely really rude of them?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeCroissant
If a friend who you have been close to for the majority of your life starts making regular comments such as:

"You never talk" (even though the two of you have had lots of deep conversation together over the years).

"You're such a weirdo"

"Oh check you integrating" (when you're sat with a group of people you don't normally sit with).

I had a friend constantly saying these things to me last year even though we'd been "best friends" since Year 7 and it was getting me down so I decided to just stop having anything to do with them.

That's a pretty terrible friend if they weren't joking
Reply 2
Yeah, most of them are bad and wouldn't be said from a good friend.
All I can say is WTF

They sound ignorant and arrogant. The worst combination possible. Good move OP. I'd break contact with them too. No second thoughts.

I've had most of those things said to me by different people throughout my life, not one person, and it has damaged my self esteem. I'm still having CBT to overcome it. Best to stay CLEAR of people like this. They will harm you.
I don't think you're being oversensitive, friends aren't supposed to make you feel down :smile:

"You're such a weirdo"

I really don't know the context in which these things have been said to you but I'm an introvert and maybe apart from the 2nd and 3rd ones my friends have said all of these to me before, but in a jokey way which didn't offend me at all. You've just got to laugh at the comments - if she is your best friend I highly doubt she wanted you to actually kill yourself and she's probably just jealous of you. The more you become resilient to things like this the more you can just laugh them off and embrace that you're cleverer, thinner and more studious than your friend.
It sounds like they are not a very good friend and while I see your issues with this it makes life so much easier to let things go. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but hearing them does not mean you have to listen to them.
As long as you are happy then it does not matter what anyone else thinks. It really is not worth the stress of worrying yourself about things like this. We are all unique individuals!

"You're practically invisible" That's bad?

"Nobody knows who you are" - I have no idea of this relevance?

"You're such a weirdo" - Even not jokingly said, I'd take this as a complement. Weirdness is brilliant.

"The only thing you do with your life is study"...and that's bad?

"Go and kill yourself" PURE JEALOUSY (When you get an A)

"You're going to get an A* aren't you because you're little miss perfect" Please take this as a complement.

"You're such a fatty" - I'm actually speechless... (even though they're like twice my weight)

Am I just being oversensitive HELL NO or was this genuinely really rude of them?

You're not an introvert, don't categorise yourself, if anything being reserved is brilliant.
I literally have no idea what to say other than this person from year 7 is jealous of you or you have realised how much of a horrible person they are.

This is what we call bullying peeps.

Seriously speechless...
(edited 7 years ago)
Shes not your friend ..
This person's not your friend. Don't take the fact that you've known each other for long because it's pretty clear that they don't really understand you. I suggest you move on
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I really don't know the context in which these things have been said to you but I'm an introvert and maybe apart from the 2nd and 3rd ones my friends have said all of these to me before, but in a jokey way which didn't offend me at all. You've just got to laugh at the comments - if she is your best friend I highly doubt she wanted you to actually kill yourself and she's probably just jealous of you. The more you become resilient to things like this the more you can just laugh them off and embrace that you're cleverer, thinner and more studious than your friend.

These things can't be said in a 'jokey' way. For many introverts their inability to socialize is their biggest insecurity. Targeting that for 'banter' is cruel and damaging. If its done intentionally then it shows a lack of basic empathy. I regret staying in touch with friends like this just for the sake of having friends. The psychological damage is not worth it.

"You're such a weirdo"

Ewww, Frenemy alert. Ditch straightaway
Reply 12

"You're such a weirdo"

You're not overreacting at all. They're awful things to say to anyone, but from someone that's supposed to be your ''friend'' just isn't right (even if they are joking.)

I had a friend a few years ago that, because I'm quite, they always used to say things similar to the ''you never talk'' and ''wow you're getting involved'' stuff. I got completely sick of it after a while and cut ties with them, what's the point in having a friend that makes you feel bad about yourself nearly every time you hang out with them?

You've done the right thing, OP. Surround yourself with people that actually respect you :smile:
Whether you are an introvert or not, those are some nasty things to say to someone who is meant to be your friend. I would be a bit hurt or angry at some of those remarks. You don't need friends like that, get rid of them :hugs:

I had a friend like that too lately that I ditched for good. She brought me down from everything to the way I look, to my wedding theme and then to the worst, my illnesses. A friend is there to build you up, not to bring you down.
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't get offended bc I'm an introvert, I'd get offended bc those are dickish things to say.
Your "friend" sounds like a proper nasty piece of work. Probably jealous of you too. Walk away from her.
How rude. :frown: As mentioned, a true friend won't say those things. A friends' former girlfriend did mention (in the nicest way as you can!) that I don't talk much, which I know is true. But that was it. I know she wasn't being rude about it.
Reply 17
women....
"best friend" sounds like a psycho....

"You're such a weirdo"

To be honest anyone would be offended from someone constantly making such comments, not just introverts. I had a friend who's been saying mean things like that for years and then she would say I'm just joking, chill. But I got fed up with it and distanced myself from her and honestly looking back I see she didn't care for me at all, she wasn't a good friend at all. So I'd say you did the right thing from distancing yourself :smile: Life is too short to allow yourself be surrounded by negative energy like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending