The Student Room Group

Stopping periods?

Okay, so I hate getting my periods because it always gets in the way. Tampons scare me and I don't want to pay loads for a menstrual cup which I'm not gonna use. I was just wondering whether there were any ways of stopping it? I know people with the implant, some who have had their periods stop and others who haven't. I was just wondering whats the best way?
The contraceptive pill,mini pill or Mirena coil? OK you will still have periods but they will be very regular and I know with the pill will be lighter. But in all honesty, deliberately stopping your periods for any length of time can't be healthy i'd imagine. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you. But having periods is a natural healthy thing for a woman's body to go through.
(edited 7 years ago)
I like your Grand Jete avatar.
get the injection
I would say speak to your doctor who will know the best options for this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if you get on the pill, implant or the coil it wont stop your periods. The pill gives you a monthly withdrawal bleed due to the drop of hormones in your body. You can take the pills back to back and not take the 7 day break but it isn't healthy for your body, and causes breakthrough bleeding.
Definitely go speak to your GP about it. There are a number of options out there.

Original post by Fermion.
Even if you get on the pill, implant or the coil it wont stop your periods. The pill gives you a monthly withdrawal bleed due to the drop of hormones in your body. You can take the pills back to back and not take the 7 day break but it isn't healthy for your body, and causes breakthrough bleeding.

In what way is it not healthy for your body?
Original post by Anonymous
Definitely go speak to your GP about it. There are a number of options out there.

In what way is it not healthy for your body?

My gynaecologist said its not recommended to take the pill back to back for more than two months.

Just want to insert that sometimes I take up to 4 packs back to back and I've never had a problem with breakthrough bleeding! I find it so useful to be able to skip periods when I have something important happening the week when I would be due eg. exams or interviews. It's not a 'real period' anyway so you're still your depriving your body of it's natural function, but it is nice for reassurance that you're not pregnant every once in a while! :smile:

A lot of doctors give dated advice as when the pill first came out they wouldn't give you a repeat prescription early if they thought you were running packs together, as they wanted to encourage women to be 'normal' even when taking the pill.

I attended a GP update about a year ago (I was working), and they were recommending reducing the 7-day break down to a 4-day break, taking 3 packs back to back to reduce risk of pregnancy. It was very reassuring that you can take it how you see fit as long as you don't have a break longer than 7 days!
My gynaecologist said its not recommended to take the pill back to back for more than two months.

Did they say why?

I am curious as I have heard differently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending