The Student Room Group

The MEGA 9-1 GCSE Maths Exam Question Countdown - 30 DAYS TO GO

We have decided to post one question every day on TSR (as well as our twitter) to give you DAILY practice across the whole GCSE Maths syllabus leading up to your exam.

The idea is that you make it necessary to attempt (at least) one question a day. You can post and share your solutions when the questions go up (try to use spoilers) and solutions will be released at the end of the day.

The questions are designed for the Edexcel Maths Specification, but they should still be applicable to most other specifications.

The first Edexcel GCSE Maths exam is on 25th May 2017.

There are 30 days to go.

We started this countdown on our twitter at 100 days, so I will attach the first few questions and their solutions.

Questions 1-10

Spoiler

Questions 11-20

Spoiler

Questions 21-30

Spoiler

Questions 31-40

Spoiler

Questions 41-50

Spoiler

Questions 51-60:

Spoiler

Questions 61-70 (current):

Spoiler

In addition to this, you can find 9-1 practice papers on our website: www.crashmaths.com/gcse-practice-papers

@jpb09 recommends an app called Temple GCSE for revision. Check it out.

We hope that you find these useful in your maths revision. Good luck :smile:

Thread Updated: 23/04/2017 17:14
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Question 1 out of 100 and solution

part (a) is level 5 ish, part (b) is level 8/9

NB: in part (b), we use 1+5 1 + \sqrt{5} to find the longest possible side, because it is clear that squaring 1+5 1 + \sqrt{5} will be bigger than 15 1 - \sqrt{5}
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Question 2 out of 100 + Solution

part (i) is level 9, part (ii) is level 8, but since it needs part (i), it may as well be level 9 too
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for this. :smile: I'll do it later on today.
Reply 4
Question 3 out of 100 + Solution

this is around level 6/7
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Question 4 out of 100 + Solution

this is around level 7/8
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
THIS THREAD STARTS FROM QUESTION 5:

Question 5 + Solution (uploaded 20:04)

this is level 9
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by crashMATHS
We have decided to post one question every day on TSR (as well as our twitter) to give you DAILY practice across the whole GCSE Maths syllabus leading up to your exam.

The idea is that you make it necessary to attempt (at least) one question a day. You can post and share your solutions when the questions go up (try to use spoilers) and solutions will be released at the end of the day.

The questions are designed for the Edexcel Maths Specification, but they should still be applicable to most other specifications.

The first Edexcel GCSE Maths exam is on 25th May 2017.

There are 96 days left to go.

We started this countdown on our twitter at 100 days, so I will attach the first few questions and their solutions.

We hope that you find these useful in your maths revision. Good luck :smile:

@notnek / @Mr M - any chance of a sticky?

Great thread - thanks so much for this. Were you meant to post the solution to the first question? It would be nice if students could have a go first.

I've tagged some people who may be interested. If you can think of anyone else, please tag them.

EDIT: I've realised that you are only posting solutions for the first few questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by notnek
Great thread - thanks so much for this. Were you meant to post the solution to the first question? It would be nice if students could have a go first.

I've tagged some people who may be interested. If you can think of anyone else, please tag them.

EDIT: I've realised that you are only posting solutions for the first few questions.

Yeah the first few are just a backlog of questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for this, however from the look of these questions, if this is the sort that comes up, i feel like im going to be screwed over...
i could only do C and onwards from the last question
How do you approach these type of questions?
Original post by Misaki24
Thanks for this, however from the look of these questions, if this is the sort that comes up, i feel like im going to be screwed over...
i could only do C and onwards from the last question
How do you approach these type of questions?

Hey

The first few ones are quite demanding, so don't worry. We will post some more accessible ones at levels 4-6 for the next 10 or so questions!

The solutions for the first few are up so have a look and let us know if you're stuck.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey

The first few ones are quite demanding, so don't worry. We will post some more accessible ones at levels 4-6 for the next 10 or so questions!

The solutions for the first few are up so have a look and let us know if you're stuck.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by notnek

Thanks for the tag! This will be really helpful. :smile:
Thanks for this thread!
Would you say the questions drift a bit from the gcse style type of questions but is rather more problem solving or grade 8/9 questions?
@crashMATHS
Original post by CraigBackner
Thanks for this thread!
Would you say the questions drift a bit from the gcse style type of questions but is rather more problem solving or grade 8/9 questions?
@crashMATHS

Some of these are exercises, some are question-types. For example, question 1 is in the form of an exam style question, while question3b is more of an exercise.

The questions we post from this point on will be exam style questions.

The ones up to now have been grades 8/9 (except question 3) but there will be more 4-6 from tomorrow :biggrin:

If you want practice exam papers, then look on our website:

www.crashmaths.com/gcse-practice-papers
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone. I am doing the foundation paper so I would appreciate it if you put up some foundation style questions.
Reply 16
Question 2 out of 100 + Solution

How do we know that
square root of 3root3
is equal to root 3 and 2/3?

and how can that be written as 3.75?
These sorts of questions confuse me so much. :frown:
Original post by Zonyali123
Hi everyone. I am doing the foundation paper so I would appreciate it if you put up some foundation style questions.

We indicate any questions we post that are suitable for foundation tier, we'll make sure the next few are :smile:
Reply 18
Question 3 out of 100 + Solution

Where does z - x = 11 come from?
Original post by e2014
How do we know that
square root of 3root3
is equal to root 3
These sorts of questions confuse me so much. :frown:

Let's deal with the 33 3\sqrt{3} first of all:

33=3×312 \displaystyle 3\sqrt{3} = 3 \times 3^{\frac{1}{2}} , because of the rule that x=x12 \sqrt{x} = x^{\frac{1}{2}} .

Now 33=3×312=31+12=332\displaystyle 3 \sqrt{3} = 3 \times 3^{\frac{1}{2}} = 3^{1+\frac{1}{2}} = 3^{\frac{3}{2}} by the rule that xn×xm=xn+m x^n \times x^m = x^{n+m} .

So that bit is done.

Now let's focus on the 33 \displaystyle \sqrt{3\sqrt{3}} . If we replace 33 \displaystyle 3\sqrt{3} with what we found above, we have:

33=332=(332)12 \displaystyle \sqrt{3\sqrt{3}} = \sqrt{3^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \left(3^{\frac{3}{2}} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} by the same rule as before: x=x12 \sqrt{x} = x^{\frac{1}{2}}

Now we use one final rule that (xm)n=xm×n \displaystyle \left(x^m\right)^n = x^{m \times n} to get:

(332)12=332×12=334 \displaystyle \left(3^{\frac{3}{2}} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \displaystyle 3^{\frac{3}{2} \times \frac{1}{2}} = \displaystyle 3^{\frac{3}{4}} .

For the rest of the question, you have to use the rules again. It's always useful to break it down bit-by-bit. Have you done laws of indices? Maybe try going through this question with the laws by your side.

Let me know if you need more help or are stuck on anything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest