The Student Room Group

Landlord is Trying to Bill Us for Mould we didn't cause?

I'm subletting a room for the next few months and am sharing with a group of students who were already here before. The landlord doesn't live here so he had not been to check the property for ages, but he came round a few weeks ago and was annoyed because there's some mould on the walls in the bathroom and my room and also a bit of damage in the bathroom (not caused by me). He also told us that if we couldn't remove it he would have to bill us. Some repair people turned up unannounced today to "give the landlord a quote" for a full redecoration and we had managed to clean most of it off, they said all the place seemed to need was more ventilation. However I am not sure if this is true or not. I certainly don't want to lose my share of the deposit.

When I moved in a few months ago, there was a similar level of mould/damage so Idk if my flatmates caused it after moving in in September or the previous ones did. The landlord was too lax apparently and has not been to the place for ages, so h has no way of knowing who caused the damage/mould. Unfortunately my flatmates are pretty clueless/thick tbh (they whine about everything and didn't even register with the water company till I turned up, and insisted on giving the agency a copy of the key which is why the repair guys could just come in!) and took NO photos of the place at all when they moved in. It says in their contract the landlord should have protected the deposit but I don't even know if he did. I took photos of my room when I moved in, but not the common areas like the bathroom or kitchen. I know they HAVE created stains on their own carpets but that is their own fault and they will have to pay for it out of their shares of the deposit.

I'm not sure if the deposit is protected so I will need to check with the landlord (though technically I have a subletting contract with the old flatmate and not a direct contract with him). But can he bill us for repairs for mould even if he's not sure if we caused it or not?
Without any photographic proof that the mould was there before you moved in, you're in very much a weaker position, even though I appreciate that it wasn't your choice not to take them. What with the damage to carpets and whatnot which you describe, it makes your position weaker still.

Is this managed by a lettings agency, or directly by the landlord? What exactly is the agreement to sublet? Assured shorthold tenancies usually have a clause specifically banning sub-letting. I presume you've seen a copy of the tenancy agreement of the person from whom you are subletting, to check out whether he entitled to sublet to you in the first place?
(edited 7 years ago)
Can you prove the place was badly ventilated and that you ve been opening windows? Cilit bang mould killer keeps it off our bathroom walk for a good month. If the deposit was registered they should have given you a reference number
Original post by Anonymous

I'm not sure if the deposit is protected so I will need to check with the landlord (though technically I have a subletting contract with the old flatmate and not a direct contract with him). But can he bill us for repairs for mould even if he's not sure if we caused it or not?

Pretty sure they have to protect the deposit and, if they don't, you can claim some multiple of the deposit as compensation. I'm not sure what the effect of the sublet is, but my guess would be the end result will be the same.

I think they have to show proof of anything they want to take out of the deposit. This is one reason why competent letting agents and landlords take extensively at least photographic evidence of the property before you move in.

In sum I think you can dispute it, but you'd want to take the tenancy document and exact details to a lawyer who knows about these things to find out exactly how.

Original post by Reality Check
Assured shorthold tenancies usually have a clause specifically banning sub-letting.

Perhaps, but can we agree that it would be surprising if breach of this provision allowed the landlord to just take money from a deposit without the usual protections applying?

Unless you are actually familiar with the relevant law, in which case I'm happy to be corrected.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Perhaps, but can we agree that it would be surprising if breach of this provision allowed the landlord to just take money from a deposit without the usual protections applying?

Unless you are actually familiar with the relevant law, in which case I'm happy to be corrected.

No, I agree with you :smile: My problem here is that if the primary tenant wasn't in a position to sublet to the OP, then he has no rights anyway to recovery of his 'share' of the deposit - only the actual tenant can claim this. This is why I think it's important for the OP to clarify exactly how this sub-letting has been arranged, so we can decide his legal tenancy position first before considering more mundane matters like return of deposits and fair dilapidations.
No, I agree with you :smile: My problem here is that if the primary tenant wasn't in a position to sublet to the OP, then he has no rights anyway to recovery of his 'share' of the deposit - only the actual tenant can claim this. This is why I think it's important for the OP to clarify exactly how this sub-letting has been arranged, so we can decide his legal tenancy position first before considering more mundane matters like return of deposits and fair dilapidations.

Sure, I think that's right. I agree that if he hasn't dealt with the landlord directly then the deposit is probably res inter alios, and any dealings with money that have taken place between the tenants and subtenant is simply between them. But if whatever tenants are able to dispute this do so successfully presumably they and OP will be able to work that out between themselves.
Sure, I think that's right. I agree that if he hasn't dealt with the landlord directly then the deposit is probably res inter alios, and any dealings with money that have taken place between the tenants and subtenant is simply between them. But if whatever tenants are able to dispute this do so successfully presumably they and OP will be able to work that out between themselves.

Yes, I agree.
Reply 7
Without any photographic proof that the mould was there before you moved in, you're in very much a weaker position, even though I appreciate that it wasn't your choice not to take them. What with the damage to carpets and whatnot which you describe, it makes your position weaker still.

Is this managed by a lettings agency, or directly by the landlord? What exactly is the agreement to sublet? Assured shorthold tenancies usually have a clause specifically banning sub-letting. I presume you've seen a copy of the tenancy agreement of the person from whom you are subletting, to check out whether he entitled to sublet to you in the first place?

It's confusing - it's managed by an agency in the city I live in, the landlord has his own "lettings agency" which is separate in his home town and wrote up the contract though. I don't think he's very professional, I've seen his contract with my flatmates and it says it lasts till (end month) 2016 instead of (end month) 2017 like it should.

Regarding the subletting, the guy I'm subletting from asked the landlord before I moved in as per the contract, we have written proof of his confirmation. I have a separate contract with him, though. Technically the main tenant (another girl whom we all pay the rent to before we pay the landlord) should be returning my deposit as he'll probably be returning them all to her, so it's she who should be paying me back regardless of what the landlord does (she read and signed the contract too as a witness).

They aren't the most competent bunch though - I was the one who insisted on seeing his contract and making sure he confirmed with the landlord (who contacted me directly), rather than agreeing to sublet straight away.

Original post by claireestelle
Can you prove the place was badly ventilated and that you ve been opening windows? Cilit bang mould killer keeps it off our bathroom walk for a good month. If the deposit was registered they should have given you a reference number

Thanks. Does that remove paint? Might give that a try. I don't even shower at home but at the gym as the bathroom is filthy. My flatmates are international students and won't even flush the toilet half the time and leave water all over the floor after they shower. So unfortunately I'm not sure how responsible they are, but I have only been here for a few months, and I can remember the mould was pretty much the same when I moved in.

I've asked my flatmates if they know if the deposit is protected. They said they don't think so but like I said they are clueless. But on the other hand the landlord is clearly not up to speed, so it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't protected it either.

Pretty sure they have to protect the deposit and, if they don't, you can claim some multiple of the deposit as compensation. I'm not sure what the effect of the sublet is, but my guess would be the end result will be the same.

I think they have to show proof of anything they want to take out of the deposit. This is one reason why competent letting agents and landlords take extensively at least photographic evidence of the property before you move in.

In sum I think you can dispute it, but you'd want to take the tenancy document and exact details to a lawyer who knows about these things to find out exactly how

Thanks, I'm aware of that :smile: I don't think the subletting will make any difference as as stated above I insisted on confirmation from the landlord before signing everything. So he's fully aware of it and we have written permission. I need to check if the deposit's protected first but I highly doubt it. Obviously if we can get it back without going to court I would rather do that, but do you know how long/hard the court process might be?

If my flatmates have caused stains on the carpets in their rooms though I'm not happy to split the cost esp. as strictly speaking they, not the actual owner are my "landlord" because I'm subletting. Also, it's 100% their fault, there were even stains on the carpet in my room when I moved in but I managed to get rid of them thank God.

The tenancy document also says that it lasts till (end month) 2016 rather than (end month) 2017 (the landlord is not super professional). That won't make a difference, will it?
Original post by Anonymous
It's confusing - it's managed by an agency in the city I live in, the landlord has his own "lettings agency" which is separate in his home town and wrote up the contract though. I don't think he's very professional, I've seen his contract with my flatmates and it says it lasts till (end month) 2016 instead of (end month) 2017 like it should.

Regarding the subletting, the guy I'm subletting from asked the landlord before I moved in as per the contract, we have written proof of his confirmation. I have a separate contract with him, though. Technically the main tenant (another girl whom we all pay the rent to before we pay the landlord) should be returning my deposit as he'll probably be returning them all to her, so it's she who should be paying me back regardless of what the landlord does (she read and signed the contract too as a witness).

They aren't the most competent bunch though - I was the one who insisted on seeing his contract and making sure he confirmed with the landlord (who contacted me directly), rather than agreeing to sublet straight away.

Thanks. Does that remove paint? Might give that a try. I don't even shower at home but at the gym as the bathroom is filthy. My flatmates are international students and won't even flush the toilet half the time and leave water all over the floor after they shower. So unfortunately I'm not sure how responsible they are, but I have only been here for a few months, and I can remember the mould was pretty much the same when I moved in.

I've asked my flatmates if they know if the deposit is protected. They said they don't think so but like I said they are clueless. But on the other hand the landlord is clearly not up to speed, so it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't protected it either.

Thanks, I'm aware of that :smile: I don't think the subletting will make any difference as as stated above I insisted on confirmation from the landlord before signing everything. So he's fully aware of it and we have written permission. I need to check if the deposit's protected first but I highly doubt it. Obviously if we can get it back without going to court I would rather do that, but do you know how long/hard the court process might be?

If my flatmates have caused stains on the carpets in their rooms though I'm not happy to split the cost esp. as strictly speaking they, not the actual owner are my "landlord" because I'm subletting. Also, it's 100% their fault, there were even stains on the carpet in my room when I moved in but I managed to get rid of them thank God.

The tenancy document also says that it lasts till (end month) 2016 rather than (end month) 2017 (the landlord is not super professional). That won't make a difference, will it?

If you re careful it won't take the paint off, just leave it on for no more than 5 minutes. They won't be helping the situation with how they re using that bathroom.
If you have a contract with your friend and not the landlord then I'm pretty sure the landlord can't personally bill you for anything, your friend would be responsible. However that also means that if he does bill your friend they could decide to charge you for it and you wouldn't be able to dispute the charges with the actual landlord.

Mould is a difficult one but I think the landlord does have to prove it was your fault e.g. have evidence of you drying clothes indoors or showering with the windows closed etc.
Don't fight a landlord without definite proof the problem lies with that these are really tangible assets either way so best to stay clear of them and just pretend everything's okay as long as you can get away with it.
Out of all the people ever they argue the most. He could have taken photos of it before you tried to deal with it they will lie to make sure they make a profit. A house is easy money for renting it out out of anything ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending