Turn on thread page Beta

islam bashing on ukl ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why are some people in the uk specifically from england so anti-islamic ? .... ive some across quite a few on this board ... and it is surprising coz my dads work is mostly based in the states and they should be more ticked off wiht islam cuz of wat bin laden did ...

surprisingly most ppl from the states are very tolerant of other religions and are ready to listen to new ideas .... i thought this must be coz we were face to face and they must be trying to be politically correct ...

but i chcked out some chat rooms and froums online and most americans dont blame islam for wat happened on 9/11 ... jus some dernaged afghanis and thier own system whihc failed to avoid it ..

those who do show signs of being anti islamic say it openly but theyre a rare few in america ... mostly trailer trash and those people who show similiar feelings to black americans

im not trying to attack ppl on this board for their personal beliefs ... everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be allowed free speech .... but why is it that many people on this board have such hostile views on the religion ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's confined to Islam either. Unfortunately you do get people who speak out their views without fully considering their impact (though I might be guilty in that regard at times !). It's only a minority, the vast majority of people here seem to be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    Why are some people in the uk specifically from england so anti-islamic ? .... ive some across quite a few on this board ... and it is surprising coz my dads work is mostly based in the states and they should be more ticked off wiht islam cuz of wat bin laden did ...

surprisingly most ppl from the states are very tolerant of other religions and are ready to listen to new ideas .... i thought this must be coz we were face to face and they must be trying to be politically correct ...

but i chcked out some chat rooms and froums online and most americans dont blame islam for wat happened on 9/11 ... jus some dernaged afghanis and thier own system whihc failed to avoid it ..

those who do show signs of being anti islamic say it openly but theyre a rare few in america ... mostly trailer trash and those people who show similiar feelings to black americans

im not trying to attack ppl on this board for their personal beliefs ... everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be allowed free speech .... but why is it that many people on this board have such hostile views on the religion ?

bin laden may have hurt america but its a matter of time before he does it to the uk which is why i feel strongly against TERRORISTS. i do not feel anthing against islams in general. but unfortunately the terrorists are of this religion and therefore those who are are angry about the hatred caused by terrorists may feel anger towards islam as a whole.
    i understand both sides of the argument but i can understand how people can feel strongly against the islam terrorists. my dad was meant to be working near the twin towers on 9/11 but he didnt go. if i had lost him because of bin laden and his terrorists i wud feel absolute hate towards all terrorists and unfortunately i think i may feel slightly more wary of the religion of Islam as a whole.
    but as it stands i have no problem with islams? one of my best friends is islam

ReputationRep:
    Umm try being an american on here. Or a Jew. Or in my case, both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints.
    i love that quote!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    I don't think it's confined to Islam either. Unfortunately you do get people who speak out their views without fully considering their impact (though I might be guilty in that regard at times !). It's only a minority, the vast majority of people here seem to be great
    thts very true most ppl i know here are pretty cool ... but u know it kinda makes me angry tht there are just a few ppl on here tht say unislamic , rascist ( towards blacks and asians) on this board and some ppl get influenced by such things ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    bin laden may have hurt america but its a matter of time before he does it to the uk which is why i feel strongly against TERRORISTS. i do not feel anthing against islams in general. but unfortunately the terrorists are of this religion and therefore those who are are angry about the hatred caused by terrorists may feel anger towards islam as a whole.
    i understand both sides of the argument but i can understand how people can feel strongly against the islam terrorists. my dad was meant to be working near the twin towers on 9/11 but he didnt go. if i had lost him because of bin laden and his terrorists i wud feel absolute hate towards all terrorists and unfortunately i think i may feel slightly more wary of the religion of Islam as a whole.
    it's not only muslims who get bashed on this forum--->christians, americans, homosexuals and blondes all recieve a certain level of 'bashing'...i feel sorry for any gay blonde christian americans. They'd get virtually stoned to death.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints.
    i love that quote!
    Thanks lol. Good ole' billy joel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)

This misses thee point a bit. Islam i a religion and solely a religion. Many peeople here have thought-out ideologies and from that point of view ddisagree with islam (this is the position that I am in). The anti-semitism and anti-americanism tends to be less ideological and in fact much of the anti-semitism on this site has beee against the jewish ethnicity rather than the jewish religion. I do not in anyway oppose religion bashing but I believe it is wrong to attack someone because of their ethnicity or nationality.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Well I personally think that religion is a very good topic to debate - and one of the most fundamental religions is Islam. There is nothing wrong with discussing it, Islam is not so vulnerable that it will fall at our criticisms. Those of us who are true believers should either try and defend it, ignore it, or open their eyes at the points raised.

ReputationRep:
    u cant blame a religion for wat a terrorist does .... i know it would feel bad if sumone i knew was lost due to some terror attack by a person of another religion ... but if u think of it .. u cant blame the action of an individual by punishing the innocent ppl ...

i hated bin laden way b4 9 11 ... i dont know if u guys over in the west had heard of him b4 but he was pretty much a well known guy here ... every other day he used to declare a "fatwa of holy war on americans " ....

i jus hope hes not dead though ... he deserves to be killed in the most horrible way imaginable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    This misses thee point a bit. Islam i a religion and solely a religion. Many peeople here have thought-out ideologies and from that point of view ddisagree with islam (this is the position that I am in). The anti-semitism and anti-americanism tends to be less ideological and in fact much of the anti-semitism on this site has beee against the jewish ethnicity rather than the jewish religion. I do not in anyway oppose religion bashing but I believe it is wrong to attack someone because of their ethnicity or nationality.

MB
    I know, i was just pointing out that islam isnt the only thing bashed on here.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't war against terrorism... Bush senior created the enemy, shurb just had to knock down the pieces to ensure more money for his fat cats and re-elections...

ReputationRep:
    surprisingly most ppl from the states are very tolerant
    I'm not a great believer in religious tolerance. I see religionss just as I see other iddeologies (but with a metaphysical difference) and I have no qualms about attacking them in the same way. I would attack any ideology that oppresses its women in the way that islam does and I don't think that islam should be protected because it is a "religion"

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    This isn't war against terrorism... Bush senior created the enemy, shurb just had to knock down the pieces to ensure more money for his fat cats and re-elections...
    the war on terror had its pros and cons ....

pro : they had the opportunity to fold up al qaeda ... unlikely but quite a possibilty

con : by dropping bombs on innocent kids and ppl ... ( accidental perhaps ) ... they jus enraged more ppl

only bush knows wether hes in there for the oil ( VERY likely ) or to really stop terror ( not possible at all ... to big .. too strong ... will ways exist no matter wat the civilised word does , good and evil will always exist .. )

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a great believer in religious tolerance. I see religionss just as I see other iddeologies (but with a metaphysical difference) and I have no qualms about attacking them in the same way. I would attack any ideology that oppresses its women in the way that islam does and I don't think that islam should be protected because it is a "religion"

MB
    i didnt say tht it should be protected because its a religion ... i was wondering y ppl are so against it ...

secondly .. about opressing women ... fine .. u have ur views and i have mine ... i dont think n e thing we see to each other is gonna change our views .. .so let it be

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering y ppl are so against it ...

I am persnally against it because I don't believe in god, I don't believe in many of the "policies" which I findd to be oppressive. I don't think its infflexible nature is suitable and for these reasons I will attack it and attempt to geet people to change their minds.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I am persnally against it because I don't believe in god, I don't believe in many of the "policies" which I findd to be oppressive. I don't think its infflexible nature is suitable and for these reasons I will attack it and attempt to geet people to change their minds.

MB
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its right the way the terrorists are refferred to as 'islamic terrorisits' in the media etc, they dont represent any islamic ideals, or the views of the islamic population.

People regard Tony Blair, and George Bush as terrorists, and you cannot say its unfair that they say this when they have bombs dropped on their heads,
    its like them using the term 'christian terrorists'

religion is just the excuse

ReputationRep:

MB
    hyptothetical situation :

would u convince a catholic boy to give up his belief in god because u were worried tht some priest(rare scenario but has happenned) mite rape him ?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.