Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Here's a challenge for you, don't start an arguement
    and here's one for you...how about you try to look at the Palestinian - Israeli conflict justly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    When one has been conquered by the idea of "equality of all" then, yes, my ideas do sound odd.

But not as odd as saying that all are equal.

The majority is nothing, absolutely nothing, merely talking apes - the individual, that very rare being, is everything.
    You might think that Biggles but I don't think that. So guess what? you get to be the ape.

ReputationRep:
    What's for religious tolerance, didn't the Prophet himself slaughter thousands of pagans and tell you to follow the lead?
    When, when? please enlighten me Jason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    and here's one for you...how about you try to look at the Palestinian - Israeli conflict justly
    Don't get me started on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason0506)
    calling a person as a " little person" ... no matter wat religion is downrite rude ... and if u dont agree ... go get some decency .... learn to respect others

I didn't call anyone little or stupid.

What's for religious tolerance, didn't the Prophet himself slaughter thousands of pagans and tell you to follow the lead?

id really like to know when ...

Just after he entered Mecca, just about 1400 years ago.
    Oh my god Jason, saying that shows you know nothing about Islam, go pick up any book about the prophet and read what he did when he entered Makkah, he said: All behind closed doors are safe, all in Abu Sufyan(cheif of makkah) house are safe, all standing around the Kabbah are safe.
    He asked people to become muslims and if they didn't want to then they were allowed to leave in safety.
    Now that is forgivness.

A Muslim would call me an infidel. An evangelical Christian would call me damned. Both would probably also call me a pagan, evil etc etc.

Muslims and Christians are allowed to throw the vilest forms of abuse at me (I really don’t care what tantrums they come up with). And yet if I call them for what they are - ‘stupid’, ‘insignificant, ‘nobodies’, ‘little people’ etc - I’m the one crucified by the so-called “philosopher” Adhsur (BTW Adhsur merely studying philosophy does not make one a philosopher, just as calculating 3 + 2= 5 doesn’t make one a mathematician).

Not once have I called Muslims such vile things as they call me – I have only said they are stupid and insignificant, which is exactly what they are.

Adhsur says that one can’t post things that will offend Muslims. But she allows people to post things that would make a Muslim very happy. Slightly one-sided, don’t you think? A fascism of feey-goodyness seems to permeate this forum.

ReputationRep:
    A Muslim would call me an infidel. An evangelical Christian would call me damned. Both would probably also call me a pagan, evil etc etc.

Muslims and Christians are allowed to throw the vilest forms of abuse at me (I really don’t care what tantrums they come up with). And yet if I call them for what they are - ‘stupid’, ‘insignificant, ‘nobodies’, ‘little people’ etc - I’m the one crucified by the so-called “philosopher” Adhsur (BTW Adhsur merely studying philosophy does not make one a philosopher, just as calculating 3 + 2= 5 doesn’t make one a mathematician).

Not once have I called Muslims such vile things as they call me – I have only said they are stupid and insignificant, which is exactly what they are.

Adhsur says that one can’t post things that will offend Muslims. But she allows people to post things that would make a Muslim very happy. Slightly one-sided, don’t you think? A fascism of feey-goodyness seems to permeate this forum.
    I didn't say that people from other faiths are allowed to call you what they like. If a muslim person on here insulted/attacked an atheist I would equally delete that as much as I deleted your posts.

As for what makes a philosopher, bear in mind that philosophy means "love of wisdom"...a simple love of philosophy and a wish to study it/read it/discuss and argue about is enough to make a philosopher of someone. I by no means asserted that I am a good philosopher but a philosopher nonetheless.

I am allowing posts that make muslims happy just as much as I'm allowing posts that make atheists happy - no difference as long as I make sure no one is insulted for what they believe. A positive atmosphere is encouraged in UKL and it would be ridiculous to delete posts which are positive about one's religion - they are insulting no one whilst your posts clearly are.

(Original post by Adhsur)
    I didn't say that people from other faiths are allowed to call you what they like. If a muslim person on here insulted/attacked an atheist I would equally delete that as much as I deleted your posts.

As for what makes a philosopher, bear in mind that philosophy means "love of wisdom"...a simple love of philosophy and a wish to study it/read it/discuss and argue about is enough to make a philosopher of someone. I by no means asserted that I am a good philosopher but a philosopher nonetheless.

I am allowing posts that make muslims happy just as much as I'm allowing posts that make atheists happy - no difference as long as I make sure no one is insulted for what they believe. A positive atmosphere is encouraged in UKL and it would be ridiculous to delete posts which are positive about one's religion - they are insulting no one whilst your posts clearly are.
    I use mathematics every day. Does that make me a mathematician? No.

Are students who study law ‘lawyers’? No.

Is a person who cooks a meal for his friends a chef? No.

Simply repeating the ideas of dead people is not what a philosopher does. Philosophy is not about taking sides in intellectual and academic quarrels but going beyond bi-polar disputes and isms. A philosopher examines their subconscious foundations, assumptions, and wider implications and ramifications, to show a deeper understanding of arguments and positions that what their authors and proponents possess and yet to transcend them, and to offer new and creative solutions to prima facie problems and issues, even replacing the old questions with new questions.

The history of philosophical activity is indispensable to a philosopher – one, after all, does not want to re-invent an intellectual wheel – but to limit oneself to a history of ideas is not philosophy. One must be able to transcend and to create to be a philosopher. It does not logically follow that just because one studies philosophy that one is a philosopher.

And your bias in favour of ‘happy’ posts and strong bias against controversial posts is intellectually dishonest.

ReputationRep:

The mods don't allow muslim bashing on this forum. However, you can freely take a pop at jews and blacks, they love that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    The mods don't allow muslim bashing on this forum. However, you can freely take a pop at jews and blacks, they love that.
    I don't know where you got that from but I will delete posts that insult any religion or race as long as I get directed to them.

ReputationRep:
    I use mathematics every day. Does that make me a mathematician? No.

Are students who study law ‘lawyers’? No.

Is a person who cooks a meal for his friends a chef? No.

Simply repeating the ideas of dead people is not what a philosopher does. Philosophy is not about taking sides in intellectual and academic quarrels but going beyond bi-polar disputes and isms. A philosopher examines their subconscious foundations, assumptions, and wider implications and ramifications, to show a deeper understanding of arguments and positions that what their authors and proponents possess and yet to transcend them, and to offer new and creative solutions to prima facie problems and issues, even replacing the old questions with new questions.

The history of philosophical activity is indispensable to a philosopher – one, after all, does not want to re-invent an intellectual wheel – but to limit oneself to a history of ideas is not philosophy. One must be able to transcend and to create to be a philosopher. It does not logically follow that just because one studies philosophy that one is a philosopher.

And your bias in favour of ‘happy’ posts and strong bias against controversial posts is intellectually dishonest.
    The problem with what you have done is that you have outlined professions in which one needs to have completed certain skills successfully and have them to hand as concrete qualifications. Philosophy is different, it doesn't have a set criteria - a philosopher is someone who philosophises. And I certainly do. I don't think you're in the right position to tell me what criteria I need to pass before being "seen as a philosopher" Are you perfect at philosophy or particularly good at it? I doubt it. And anyway, the criteria you mentioned - how do you know I don't participate in such things anyway? I think I do.

As for your comment about what I delete and what I don't, I am a moderator of this site and I delete because I have a duty as a moderator - that is my role on here and these are the rules I have to follow, regardless of how good a philosopher I am, how much I agree with you, etc. Perhaps if I wasn't a moderator I wouldn't have the urge to delete such posts but on this site moderating comes before my interests in terms of which posts I allow to stay and which I don't.

I think that is fair.

(Original post by kay0)
    Yes, Adhsur's tolerance of anti-Semitic threads on UKL is well known. It’s when anti-Islam posts that Miss Khan gets into action.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Adhsur's tolerance of anti-Semitic threads on UKL is well known. It’s when anti-Islam posts that Miss Khan gets into action.
    I don't know why my personal race or beliefs have to come into this.

I do not tolerate racism on here - but I cannot delete every single racist post because not everything is reported. Now if you don't believe that, then I have nothing more to say to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm off now - byebyes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm off now - byebyes.
    Nice swift exit. :rolleyes:

The problem with what you have done is that you have outlined professions in which one needs to have completed certain skills successfully and have them to hand as concrete qualifications. Philosophy is different, it doesn't have a set criteria - a philosopher is someone who philosophises. And I certainly do. I don't think you're in the right position to tell me what criteria I need to pass before being "seen as a philosopher" Are you perfect at philosophy or particularly good at it? I doubt it. And anyway, the criteria you mentioned - how do you know I don't participate in such things anyway? I think I do.

As for your comment about what I delete and what I don't, I am a moderator of this site and I delete because I have a duty as a moderator - that is my role on here and these are the rules I have to follow, regardless of how good a philosopher I am, how much I agree with you, etc. Perhaps if I wasn't a moderator I wouldn't have the urge to delete such posts but on this site moderating comes before my interests in terms of which posts I allow to stay and which I don't.

I think that is fair.
    The problem with your view of philosophy is that you imply everyone can do philosophy. People just ask stuff like "what's the meaning of life" or "what if God had a brown beard?" and think it's profound. Because philosophy isn't well defined, everyone thinks everything is philosophy, but if everything is, nothing is. And if a philosopher is simply one who studies philosophy or asks a philosophical question, then everyone is a philosopher at least one point in their life, and so the concept of a philosopher becomes meaningless. As I've said before, if I calculate 1+1=2 I'm not a mathematician. If I jump up or down I'm not a physicist proving gravity. Philosophy is a discipline (in this respect it's more like science than an artform). If one is busy with the basics (or haven't studied the discipline at all), one couldn't and shouldn't call oneself a practitioner of the discipline.

Ia m certainly not advocating that one must have an MA in philosophy MA in philosophy to be a philosopher. But I am advocating one must reach a certain level of ability, of consciousness, of genius, to be worthy of the title 'philosopher'.

ReputationRep:
    Ia m certainly not advocating that one must have an MA in philosophy MA in philosophy to be a philosopher. But I am advocating one must reach a certain level of ability, of consciousness, of genius, to be worthy of the title 'philosopher'.
    And I don't need you to tell me or judge that I have none of that ability.

Toodles.

And I don't need you to tell me or judge that I have none of that ability.

Toodles.
    Your actions testify to your level of development.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with your view of philosophy is that you imply everyone can do philosophy. People just ask stuff like "what's the meaning of life" or "what if God had a brown beard?" and think it's profound. Because philosophy isn't well defined, everyone thinks everything is philosophy, but if everything is, nothing is. And if a philosopher is simply one who studies philosophy or asks a philosophical question, then everyone is a philosopher at least one point in their life, and so the concept of a philosopher becomes meaningless. As I've said before, if I calculate 1+1=2 I'm not a mathematician. If I jump up or down I'm not a physicist proving gravity. Philosophy is a discipline (in this respect it's more like science than an artform). If one is busy with the basics (or haven't studied the discipline at all), one couldn't and shouldn't call oneself a practitioner of the discipline.

so after all this ranting, would you call yourself a philosopher??

biggles,
    you need to understand a few points. i doubt anyone has an MA in philosophy here at UKL, but many may ask philosophical questions. you are so wrapped up in this thread, that you are being completely one-sided. your examples have no sense or logic.
    i read through the whole thread last night, and again today and noticed you particularly threw some rude comments at the muslim people.
    now take my example. if Tony Blair blew up westminister abbey, would you hate all christians? it seems ridiculous this way, but to be rude about the islamic religion to the muslim people on UKL is fine right? even though you do not know them, you may have never met them and you do not know how orthodox they are, but its right to hate them am i correct Mr. Biggles?
    Adhsur has pointed out your rudness, and now you form an arguement about philosophy. you are being too strong minded for someone who knows little about the islamic religion and are definately
    1. making a big thing out of nothing
    2. inviting neg rep from UKL users
    3. wrong about gassing muslim women. i did actually believe this one was a joke, but obviously not from where you are coming.

answer me one thing. what has islam done to you personally, to give you the right to be rude and then to make wild accusations about philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    answer me one thing. what has islam done to you personally, to give you the right to be rude and then to make wild accusations about philosophy?
    offended him by existing and troubling him with the fact tht there are things tht exist other than him in this world .... same goes for humanity too , dont think he likes tht too ... wouldnt be surprised if he was a goth :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.