The Student Room Group

a mindf***er for you all :)

so you see a shirt online for £97
you have no money so you borrow £50 from your mum and £50 from your dad
you buy the shirt and get £3 change, you give £1 to your mum and £1 to your dad and keep £1 to yourself
so now you owe £49 to your mum and £49 to your dad
£49 + £49 = £98 adding to the £1 you took so £99
where is the missing £1?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
so you see a shirt online for £97
you have no money so you borrow £50 from your mum and £50 from your dad
you buy the shirt and get £3 change, you give £1 to your mum and £1 to your dad and keep £1 to yourself
so now you owe £49 to your mum and £49 to your dad
£49 + £49 = £98 adding to the £1 you took so £99
where is the missing £1?

didn't intend to make it anonymous loool
A mind**** for me is why are you on anonymous?
keep £1 to yourself
you owe 49.50 to your mum and the same to your dad.
There is no missing £1. The shirt is worth £97, you keep £1 for yourself, give £1 to your mum and £1 to your dad. That equals £100!
There are 10 cubes in a case - 1 is white. You reach in the case 50 times. After drawing a cube, it is placed back in the case. What is the probability of drawing the white cube at least once?

EDIT: @CheeseIsVeg any idea on the answer? :colone:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XOR_
There are 10 cubes in a case - 1 is white. You reach in the case 50 times. After drawing a cube, it is placed back in the case. What is the probability of drawing the white cube at least once?

EDIT: @CheeseIsVeg any idea on the answer? :colone:

the answer is

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by excaliburn
There is no missing £1. The shirt is worth £97, you keep £1 for yourself, give £1 to your mum and £1 to your dad. That equals £100!

nooo
1 to your mum one to your dad and
wait wtf
omg im mindf***d all over again
Reply 8
Original post by Rhythmical
A mind**** for me is why are you on anonymous?

forgot to untick the anonymous box
Original post by XOR_

Ah, the memories of A level maths

X~B(50, 0.1)
p(X>=1) = 1 - p(X=0)
= 1 - 0.0148
= 0.9852

I really hope that's right.
Reply 10
What even is this thread? :rofl:
If you give them the one pound you took then the value would go down and not up so the 49 + 49 = 98. This is the overall debt. Then you pay them another pound so the debt goes down to 97. The thing you bought was 97. Solved it
You owe each parent 97/2=48.50 for the shirt and then are left needing to pay back the £3 change.

In this problem, at the end yeah you do owe £49 to each parent having already given £1 to each. Even though you kept £1 for yourself, you still owe them £49 each its just that that £1 you've taken is included in that value rather than being something you need to add on or take away from it.
As you've taken £1, you still owe £49, it's not as if you'd only give them each £48.50, hence only giving £99 back because you kept £1 unless you REALLY want to slightly rip off your parents.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Like the waiter thing, or hotel thing, idk, it involves $30 whatever it is, of a similar vein this is in reality a rather stupid question. £97 of the £98 you owe after giving £2 back lies with the shirt-sellers. You pocketed the other £1. Simple. There is nothing surprising or strange about the fact that the sum of the money owed and the money you now have is not equal to the original £100 borrowed.
Reply 16
Original post by electrifeye
Ah, the memories of A level maths

X~B(50, 0.1)
p(X>=1) = 1 - p(X=0)
= 1 - 0.0148
= 0.9852

I really hope that's right.

I mean I get a different value for (9/10)^50 but the method seems fine provided I read his question right
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I mean I get a different value for (9/10)^50 but the method seems fine provided I read his question right

Yup, you read it right.
Original post by Airmed
What even is this thread? :rofl:

Maths Support.
OP gave the £1 to a tramp after failing to set fire to it.

Quick Reply

Latest