TV License - Should I ignore or say I don't watch live programmes.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ChaosCore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I have just received one of those 'Warning - your property is under inspection' letters. Should I apply on their website on the section where it says 'I don't need a TV License' or should I simply ignore these letters?

What do they do when you apply stating you don't need a tv license?

I have a TV and BT broadband but I use the TV for playing on the PlayStation and I watch videos on AmazonTV (not live)
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ChaosCore)
Hi,

I have just received one of those 'Warning - your property is under inspection' letters. Should I apply on their website on the section where it says 'I don't need a TV License' or should I simply ignore these letters?

I have a TV and BT broadband but I use the TV for playing on the PlayStation and I watch videos on AmazonTV (not live)
Get the license. It's only £145.50
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Think they take you off the list, but if they did catch you then your penalty would be greater. You dont have to reply.

If you dont watch live TV and stay off iplayer, then you dont need one. You might wish to disable your TV fro being able to get a live signal.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I'd ignore them. When I tried to 'talk' to them about a home with no TV or computer or internet access whatsoever it did not stop the letters.

They have no legal right to access your home,
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kyx)
Get the license. It's only £145.50
Terrible advice

(Original post by 999tigger)
but if they did catch you then your penalty would be greater.
Rubbish

Should I apply on their website on the section where it says 'I don't need a TV License' or should I simply ignore these letters?
Ignore them. No reason to give them your personal details.
SomeGuyHere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're not watching live TV or Iplayer I'd ignore it. It's just a generic letter hoping you'll pay up.

If you get anything else from them declare there isn't a TV.

I have known people who got fined for doing this when they did so friendly warning there - if you do watch TV just pay it. It's only for live TV and BBC Iplayer.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reue)

Rubbish

Feel free to explain why its rubbish. There is no variation in fines?
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Feel free to explain why its rubbish. There is no variation in fines?
Please direct us towards sentencing guidelines which even suggest it might have an impact on the potential fine.

Having looked over multiple cases in the past; the huge majority of licence evasion fines have been the annual cost of a licence. Variations from that have tended to be based upon the defendants wealth.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Please direct us towards sentencing guidelines which even suggest it might have an impact on the potential fine.

Having looked over multiple cases in the past; the huge majority of licence evasion fines have been the annual cost of a licence. Variations from that have tended to be based upon the defendants wealth.
There you go

Name:  tv licence.PNG
Views: 1275
Size:  16.0 KB

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...-revised-2017/
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Updated guidelines :/

The advice of ignoring any letters is even stronger then.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Updated guidelines :/

The advice of ignoring any letters is even stronger then.
I might be able to hunt the old guidelines out, think it would say the same

The point was there is a variation depending on the facts. In the OPs case if he'd followed the advice and declared he didnt have a tv , when in fact he did, then that would count as wilful evasion and treated more seriously. I dont really remember this thread, but if his claim was he didnt watch any live TV or catch up, then he could tell them and they leave him alone for two years. Not compulsory though so he could just ignore he letters instead.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I might be able to hunt the old guidelines out, think it would say the same

The point was there is a variation depending on the facts. In the OPs case if he'd followed the advice and declared he didnt have a tv , when in fact he did, then that would count as wilful evasion and treated more seriously. I dont really remember this thread, but if his claim was he didnt watch any live TV or catch up, then he could tell them and they leave him alone for two years. Not compulsory though so he could just ignore he letters instead.
Perhaps, although I've not heard of them being applied in that way to increase a fine before.

The advice remains the same then; ignore their letters.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We just ignored the letters when we were in halls. They did stop some 6 months later.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
when I moved into my new place I was already getting warning letters [the previous owner did not have a licence]

The letters escalated to the point they were saying an official investigation had opened against me and they would be sending someone round to my home.

They then escalated again, saying they have a legal right to inspect my home by applying to the courts.

Eventually someone bought me a TV so I paid the licence.

It certainly seemed like they would be visiting. Tbh, if I were you OP either don't let them in if they come ...or pay the fee ...as if they find a working TV in your home it ain't going to go down well......

edit: seems like the letters they sent out to me were lying as I just checked online and apparently they do not have any right to enter your home without permission
jermybrown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
apply on their website on the section where it says 'I don't need a TV License' or should I simply ignore these letters?
SerotoninAddict
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When I was in halls, I replied to them saying that I didn't need a licence, but all that changed was that the threatening letters now had my name on instead of "the occupant".

Since I've moved to my new flat, I have just ignored the "to occupant" letters. It's quite funny because they slowly escalate and become more threatening, but then they seem to reset and go back to being polite and the cycle continues.

I did have someone come round to inspect and I happened to be in the flat at the time and they didn't even knock the door, they just pushed the "we've visited" note through the door. It's all just scare tactics.

I should mention that I don't watch live TV or iplayer so I don't need a licence.
virgil1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just ignore them.

We've not had a license for years, used to watch all the on demand channels - now ignore iplayer after the change in law.

We've had tv licensing round twice over a few addresses and all you need to do is tell them to go away and dont come back.

Don't give them any information!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had the license people visit a couple of months ago and despite admitting that i watch Iplayer and 4OD ect.. (i was happy to pay the license, but only if i had to which is why i have never done so voluntarily) i was told by them that i did not need to pay because i watched it on my PC without a device. I would assume therefore that the implication is that by streaming over the internet, anything i watch is not considered to be live.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I had the license people visit a couple of months ago and despite admitting that i watch Iplayer and 4OD ect.. (i was happy to pay the license, but only if i had to which is why i have never done so voluntarily) i was told by them that i did not need to pay because i watched it on my PC without a device. I would assume therefore that the implication is that by streaming over the internet, anything i watch is not considered to be live.
Iplayer requires a licence now.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Iplayer requires a licence now.
Must have been before that then. Since i have received no letters since, i assume i'm still on their no need list. If they ever return i'll start paying.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
15.93%
I'm not sure (8)
2.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.24%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.36%
I'm not a current university student (135)
45.76%

Watched Threads