Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like some opinions on this from other people who are worrying a teensy bit about finance at uni. My parents make enough so that I qualify only for the 3000 loan, but not enough to bankroll me all the way through uni, so i need to be careful with dosh. They have kindly said they will pay for my hall fees (hoepfully catered) and tuition fees, so I don't need to worry about them. But will that 3000 be enough for term time (am hoping i can get a job in the holidays) including a 400 quid flight ticket to a wedding i have to go to, and 200 quid to finance turning that wedding trip into a holiday as well? Or is 2600 too little for 30 ish weeks of term??? Any opinions please, and any budgeting tips for someone who has always had a cash flow problem...

ReputationRep:
    That really should be plenty. Would be for me.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how often you want to go out. I'm getting a job (not too many hours though) and using that money to pay for expenses such as going out, clothes, etc (my familey are paying for tuition, accomadation and food)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butterflew)
    Or is 2600 too little for 30 ish weeks of term??? Any opinions please, and any budgeting tips for someone who has always had a cash flow problem...
    £2600 for around 30 weeks of term is about £85 a week...which is plenty if your accommodation is being paid for you (even more so if it's catered accommodation because you don't have to worry about buying much extra food etc). I spent about £40 a week last year during term time - £15 a week on food (I was fully self catered) and the other £25 on going out, sports and general stuff (notebooks, photocopying, cinema etc).

As for budgeting tips - personally I'd try to stay out of your overdraft (especially if you're getting over £40 a week after food and accommodation) and only use it when it's really essential or when you know you will be able to pay it back fairly soon. But I know people who quite happily spend their entire overdraft during term and then pay it off over summer - which is fine as long as nothing comes up which requires a lot of money quickly (for example, if you have a car and you crash it) and you have a good, definite job over the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    One budgeting tip - open 2 bank accounts.

You pay all your loan into one account and set up a standing order to the other account with an alocation of monthly money, or weeklymoney. So you will have your loan in one account and £85.00 per week going into another account which you can easily access.

The first account where the 'lump' of cash in should be as difficult to get to as possible. Eg open the account in your home town and make sure that bank doesn't have a branch near your uni. Leave the cheque book and cashpoint card at home so each month you only have one month's money to spend. When it's gone that's it but if it is a real emergency you can get money out. You can take one cheque with you for say £50.00 made out to yourself to put in the account you use on a daily basis if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    That should be plenty!!!!
    I get the minimum loan which should pretty much cover my self-catering accomodation and tuition fees. Then after that my parents are giving me 60 pounds a week which I should hopefully be able to live on. I'm also going to get a job to supplement this but first I'll have to use any money from this to pay off 600 pounds I borrowed off of my parents at the end of my gap year - I can't find a job to pay it off b4 I start. Eek.

ReputationRep:
    Eek... take that back. Just got a call from the kids camp I worked at last summer. They want me to work for the next 2 weeks! Thats half my debt to my parents gone anyway! Yey!! I'm a very very happy bunny!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    with 3 grand you will have no problem what so ever.Most people use their loan on their accomodation and then have to earn moeny for spending money. I estimate that for my living expenses i spend an average of £60 a week which include clothes, driving in general anything over the entire year. You're in a good financial position don't worry yourself

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.