The Student Room Group

Money as a nurse

Hi
I was wondering as a student nurse and all the travelling for placements and obvs social events. Is it hard to keep on top of you student loan??? Any part time jobs suggested for first year students??
Thanks
Reply 1
Student loan or bursery?? Student loan I'd imagine you get quite abit more. You'd live pretty comfortably if you get same rate as most student financed courses.

Bursery....can only go off my experience. It's not feasible and you struggle. I have to work alongside which is very tiring and not ideal. My bursery only covers my rent. I have 2 children, a car and a house plus tons of bills. I actually wonder how I do it but I've done it for a year so I'm sure the next 2 il kinda manage!!
Hey, im a 3rd year nursing student and I find it a struggle even as a young student living at home with parents and pay no rent at all!
I work for a healthcare agency so I basically tell them when im available around uni and placement and they find work for me and give me shifts.
It is hard to survive without a job on the side but not impossible! my friend hasn't worked on the side and she is doing fine, although she doesn't drive so doesn't have to pay those kind of expenses, but public transport is still quite dear and you hardly get anything back. But nonetheless she manages.
If I were you id look into doing agency healthcare on the side as its more flexable. But if you can cut back on other things like take-aways, nights out etc then you might be alright without working. Depends on your own commitments and what you spend monthly I guess.
Original post by Pariah_xo
Hey, im a 3rd year nursing student and I find it a struggle even as a young student living at home with parents and pay no rent at all!
I work for a healthcare agency so I basically tell them when im available around uni and placement and they find work for me and give me shifts.
It is hard to survive without a job on the side but not impossible! my friend hasn't worked on the side and she is doing fine, although she doesn't drive so doesn't have to pay those kind of expenses, but public transport is still quite dear and you hardly get anything back. But nonetheless she manages.
If I were you id look into doing agency healthcare on the side as its more flexable. But if you can cut back on other things like take-aways, nights out etc then you might be alright without working. Depends on your own commitments and what you spend monthly I guess.

I heard with the health agency you need to have like a certain number of experience therefore can only do this half way through year one?? I kinda want a job like as soon as a start obvs i know student union jobs and like on open days?? but is there any others you would suggest.
Original post by tvuki1
I heard with the health agency you need to have like a certain number of experience therefore can only do this half way through year one?? I kinda want a job like as soon as a start obvs i know student union jobs and like on open days?? but is there any others you would suggest.

Yeah I got mine after my second placement in first year. However, I have been looking for a second agency jobs lately which is more ward based for more experience for when I come to apply for nurse jobs in September and have found some care jobs that don't require experience. Look into maybe support working or healthcare working on the bank so you still have flexibility. Some nursing/residential homes are willing to take on people with no experience and train them. And ive seen a few support work with adults who have learning disabilities jobs that state no experience required, just the motivation to want to learn and interest in the field. Have a look around and do some research online.

If all else fails then just wait until the end of your second placement or get a job not healthcare related but will consider your circumstances. A friend of mine has worked in Wilkinson's, and another in Morrisons. So it is possible. Its just about researching and asking around. Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply