Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

HLouise
which one you got?

Aspire 5024WLMi
Its lasted over 18 months now, with my abuse.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Your paranoid. Shuttles even have special bags made for them lol.

I'm not paranoid at all. I've been in and out of desktop computers half my life, I know the damage that even carrying one up or down the stairs can do.
Reply 22
generalebriety
carrying one up or down the stairs can do.

How exactly are you carrying it?
generalebriety
I'm not paranoid at all. I've been in and out of desktop computers half my life, I know the damage that even carrying one up or down the stairs can do.

Depends how well they are constructed. Some desktops are designed to be portable, especially shuttles. Lappies are not so good for LAN parties, believe it or not.
sarbruis
How exactly are you carrying it?

I just put it in my pet hurricane-filled-with-knives-and-hammers and throw it upstairs. :s-smilie: What did you want me to say to this? Or was it just a silly sarcastic remark?

Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Depends how well they are constructed. Some desktops are designed to be portable, especially shuttles. Lappies are not so good for LAN parties, believe it or not.

Course. I was talking about the sort of desktop that any casual computer user would have, not computers specially constructed for LAN parties. Why's everyone on about LAN parties? The OP is clearly talking about maths. :s-smilie:
Reply 25
I've got several old tower/mini-tower PCs that were nothing special just the standard case for an office PC.
They've been moved about and bashed around as they wait in a coridoor for their next destination. Barely a scratch on them.
Reply 26
generalebriety
What did you want me to say to this?

I wanted you to tell me how you carried it up the stairs. I'm not quite sure how a PC can incur damage from being carried up the stairs.
generalebriety
I just put it in my pet

Course. I was talking about the sort of desktop that any casual computer user would have, not computers specially constructed for LAN parties. Why's everyone on about LAN parties? The OP is clearly talking about maths. :s-smilie:

Ah but you were replying to my post where I mentioned tiny computers. They are designed to be more portable in most cases. As for the OP, he was talking about Maths true, but in Durham :p: No need to make me any more envious than I already am about your Cambridge place... :laugh:
I got a laptop because it's easier to move around. Both around the house, and around the world (watching non-rubbish movies on flights). Sure, a PC is easier to upgrade, but generally after 3-4yrs so much has changed that a new computer is the easiest option. And.. erm, it looks better :smile:
sarbruis
I wanted you to tell me how you carried it up the stairs. I'm not quite sure how a PC can incur damage from being carried up the stairs.

Apart from the obvious - dropping, knocking or shaking it - any number of things could happen which would essentially put the computer out of action which the average computer user wouldn't have a clue about or which it would void the guarantee to fix. It's not difficult to unseat the RAM or a graphics card while moving a computer, or for a random wire to fall out of anywhere, or for something to get stuck in the fan so that your computer runs a serious risk of overheating; all have happened to me in the past. Easily fixed when you know what you're doing, but most don't. And now back to the point: transporting a computer in a car miles across the country, where being knocked and shaken around is an absolute certainty. Obviously it depends on how well the computer is made, but frankly I think 9 times out of 10, my computer would come out of the other end completely non-functional.
Reply 30
Back onto the side track...
are there any/many LAN parties at Durham uni?

I've never been to one, nor am I a geeky game player, but it sounds like fun and I also hear that sort of thing is blocked going in/out of each college site. (So no inter-college matches)
Reply 31
the compsoc hosts LANs now and then. http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/dur.lan
but you KNOW you'd much rather go here:
http://fragsoc.co.uk

Latest

Trending

Trending