KCL(Msc Mental Health Studies)OR University of York(Master of research Psychology )?? Watch

DavidHH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,here.Im an Overseas students.And recently I got two offers from university in UK.One is in University of York(Master of research Psychology),and another one is in KCL(Msc mental health studies).Now I m really so puzzled about how to choose.Both are very great, so its so difficult to make a choice.In York,its the master of research that I can choose some area or tutors that I m interested in,and its prepared for the students who want to further research.Of course I have learnt that York's institute in psychology is very famous.On the other hand,KCL is located is London,I have to admit its very attractive.But the major"Msc Mental Health Studies"is a little strange for me.My major in my undergraduate is about Psychology.Its related to this taught in KCL but not the same.But from the overview,I discovered that they can offer a placement, its attract me again.Finally,I really want to stay in UK and find some job here.or continue the Phd study in UK.Now,I really don't know how to choose them,I m not sure which one is better for my future.
So..anyone know about the two course?give me some advice..Please..
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DavidHH)
Hey,here.Im an Overseas students.And recently I got two offers from university in UK.One is in University of York(Master of research Psychology),and another one is in KCL(Msc mental health studies).Now I m really so puzzled about how to choose.Both are very great, so its so difficult to make a choice.In York,its the master of research that I can choose some area or tutors that I m interested in,and its prepared for the students who want to further research.Of course I have learnt that York's institute in psychology is very famous.On the other hand,KCL is located is London,I have to admit its very attractive.But the major"Msc Mental Health Studies"is a little strange for me.My major in my undergraduate is about Psychology.Its related to this taught in KCL but not the same.But from the overview,I discovered that they can offer a placement, its attract me again.Finally,I really want to stay in UK and find some job here.or continue the Phd study in UK.Now,I really don't know how to choose them,I m not sure which one is better for my future.
So..anyone know about the two course?give me some advice..Please..
Why are you only considering these two courses, is it because you have won funding for these? Otherwise, you can apply for a number of additional masters programs that may suit your needs better- and getting into a masters course is really quite easy compared to undergraduate.

The choice should really be quite simple as the courses are quite different. If you are interested in doing something within mental health, especially in clinical or counselling psychology, then the mental health masters would better for you. If you want to do a PhD, a research masters would be more useful, since your research project will be more substantial, and you will be able to choose a project that suits your interests. I wouldn't choose KCL just because it is in london!
DavidHH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
Why are you only considering these two courses, is it because you have won funding for these? Otherwise, you can apply for a number of additional masters programs that may suit your needs better- and getting into a masters course is really quite easy compared to undergraduate.

The choice should really be quite simple as the courses are quite different. If you are interested in doing something within mental health, especially in clinical or counselling psychology, then the mental health masters would better for you. If you want to do a PhD, a research masters would be more useful, since your research project will be more substantial, and you will be able to choose a project that suits your interests. I wouldn't choose KCL just because it is in london!
Thanks for your advice.
I only considered these two course because I just got the two offers until now.lol.And I want to make a decision as soon as possible because I need apply for the language pre-sessional course...you know, the deadline for the language course is approaching...
but now, i think I will choose York...TBH,I want to live in London but the course in KCL is not my interests...
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DavidHH)
Thanks for your advice.
I only considered these two course because I just got the two offers until now.lol.And I want to make a decision as soon as possible because I need apply for the language pre-sessional course...you know, the deadline for the language course is approaching...
but now, i think I will choose York...TBH,I want to live in London but the course in KCL is not my interests...
Ah okay. It is not hard to apply for more masters courses, but i'm sure York will be a great place to do a masters anyway! It will also be a lot cheaper to live there then london
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (71)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (197)
39.64%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.23%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.64%