Chemistry chemical calculations

Watch this thread
Michelle72
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
7. Magnesium carbonate, MgCO3, decomposes when heated in a similar reaction to calcium carbonate.
(-did other questions)
d) Magnesium carbonate also reacts with dilute hyrochloric acid:
MgCO3 + 2HCl ------ MgCl2 + H2O +CO2
(s) (aq) (aq) (l) (g)

i) 8.4g of magnesium carbonate was added to 25cmcubed dilute hydrochloric acid with a concentration of 0.20mol/dmcubed. Show which reactant is the limiting reactant.
ii) What volume of carbon dioxide gas was given off in the reaction described in part i, at room temperature?

(Please explain and it is quite urgent)
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Michelle72)
7. Magnesium carbonate, MgCO3, decomposes when heated in a similar reaction to calcium carbonate.
(-did other questions)
d) Magnesium carbonate also reacts with dilute hyrochloric acid:
MgCO3 + 2HCl ------ MgCl2 + H2O +CO2
(s) (aq) (aq) (l) (g)

i) 8.4g of magnesium carbonate was added to 25cmcubed dilute hydrochloric acid with a concentration of 0.20mol/dmcubed. Show which reactant is the limiting reactant.
ii) What volume of carbon dioxide gas was given off in the reaction described in part i, at room temperature?

(Please explain and it is quite urgent)
For part i you need to find the number of moles of each reactant that are present. And then using the equation, find which one will become 0 first.
For part ii, find the number of moles CO2 created by the reaction and multiply that by 24dm3
Michelle72
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thankyou, very simple and clear explanation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (15)
36.59%