The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do

I'm in my first year of sixth form studying History, English Literature and Graphic Design, but I have absolutely no idea what to study at uni! It's such a big decision and I'm so worried I'll pick the wrong subject.

I love my subjects but Graphic Design is my absolute passion but - and I know I shouldn't listen - my family are trying to persuade me not to take it at uni. They keep calling it a hobby. I'm one of three kids, and probably the most academic one so they want me to go to a Russell group uni and study English Literature or History.

I love History too but don't see myself in any career with it other than teaching which I don't really want to do. And then English, probably my weakest but still reasonably strong, is just not something I can see myself enjoying much longer.

I just don't know what I want to do, where I could go, what my career options are! For me, I would love to do Graphics but I'm worried that I'll regret it in the future if I don't go to a Russell Group uni like I'm capable of doing.. any advice would be really appreciated!!

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by izzygrace_17
I'm in my first year of sixth form studying History, English Literature and Graphic Design, but I have absolutely no idea what to study at uni! It's such a big decision and I'm so worried I'll pick the wrong subject.

I love my subjects but Graphic Design is my absolute passion but - and I know I shouldn't listen - my family are trying to persuade me not to take it at uni. They keep calling it a hobby. I'm one of three kids, and probably the most academic one so they want me to go to a Russell group uni and study English Literature or History.

I love History too but don't see myself in any career with it other than teaching which I don't really want to do. And then English, probably my weakest but still reasonably strong, is just not something I can see myself enjoying much longer.

I just don't know what I want to do, where I could go, what my career options are! For me, I would love to do Graphics but I'm worried that I'll regret it in the future if I don't go to a Russell Group uni like I'm capable of doing.. any advice would be really appreciated!!

Thank you!

Graphic Design is actually taught in Russel Group unis also :smile: For sure in Edinburgh and Leeds, but I have also heard about Birmingham and Manchester (not sure).
I do not advise you to ignore your family's opinion, yet I think that Graphic Design guarantees actually a better career, since it's possible to work in a company or to freelance. History and English don't give you a "profession", but graphics does. I strongly disagree with the common way of thinking about design as an artsy way to become an unemployed. You will always find a place for you if you love what you do and you're good in it.

Thank you!

Hiya

Don't fret about uni yet, it's still a fair distance off :smile:

I'm doing my A-levels this coming September, I'm still undecided on what to take lol. I really want to be an animator/games-designer.

My advice is to take it easy, breathe, take one step at a time. That's what I've been doing the past few fays and it has helped immensely.

Graphic Design is in no way a mere hobby (seriously think about it, all these designs we see and use every day were designed by people who I'm rather sure do NOT view what they do as a hobby. Au contrare they often have quite the passion...)

Love Graphic Design? Then do it! It's actually an expanding industry I hear, and it does open a lot of creative doorways in its field.

I hope this helps, and it all works out for ya :h:

Thank you!

The good thing about graphic designers - they're good at creating visuals to show the sort of career progress that's available

http://www.fifteendesign.co.uk/infographics/salary-and-progression-embed/

Quick Reply

Latest