The Student Room Group

Hospital placement

Hi, I got a work experience placement at a local hospital starting tomorrow, in the cardiology department.

1) How long does these placement last for? It only states on the form to be present at 9:00am

2) Should I bring a pack lunch or money?

3) What do you exactly do in the hospital? any idea?
Sorry, I can't help but i'll also have to do some hospital placements soon so i'm going to follow this thread :smile:
Original post by shohaib712
Hi, I got a work experience placement at a local hospital starting tomorrow, in the cardiology department.

1) How long does these placement last for? It only states on the form to be present at 9:00am

2) Should I bring a pack lunch or money?

3) What do you exactly do in the hospital? any idea?

1. Sorry, none of us will be able to answer this question - it could be from 1 to 5 days (very unlikely to be more than this). Perhaps check the hospital's website for details or email the work experience co-ordinator.
2. When I went, I brought packed lunches but also some money because there was a food hall with Costa etc. Completely depends, but I'd definitely go for a packed lunch on the first day just in case you can't visit those facilities for whatever reason.
3. Generally you'll just follow doctors around all day. You get to see how they communicate to patients and reach a diagnosis. You may get the opportunity to ask them questions about their jobs but be careful not to do so when they are busy. You'll also find that there will be times where you'll just be standing around a bit, and you may feel like you've been forgotten about slightly. Don't worry about this, hospital staff are busy people and this is completely normal so you haven't done anything wrong.
Original post by surina16
1. Sorry, none of us will be able to answer this question - it could be from 1 to 5 days (very unlikely to be more than this). Perhaps check the hospital's website for details or email the work experience co-ordinator.
2. When I went, I brought packed lunches but also some money because there was a food hall with Costa etc. Completely depends, but I'd definitely go for a packed lunch on the first day just in case you can't visit those facilities for whatever reason.
3. Generally you'll just follow doctors around all day. You get to see how they communicate to patients and reach a diagnosis. You may get the opportunity to ask them questions about their jobs but be careful not to do so when they are busy. You'll also find that there will be times where you'll just be standing around a bit, and you may feel like you've been forgotten about slightly. Don't worry about this, hospital staff are busy people and this is completely normal so you haven't done anything wrong.

Hey! Thank you so much for the reply :biggrin:
Just had my first day. TBH it was sort of a mess at first because I was left alone and i got bored so i went into the coronary angiogram room where I met some really nice doctors. I constantly asked them questions and they seemed to like that. They also gave me the opportunity to talk to a patient who recently had a pacemaker (she was really nice and the head cardiologist said i was confident - IDK why he thought i was cuz im not really but it was nice to hear though) and also see several kinds of procedures and was given a good amount of advice for medicine and other possible careers such as cardiac physiology. I was also given a lot of cake and got to listen to a lot of gossip/drama going on between the junior doctors (relationships and all that nonsense). I got to try the lead aprons and other surgical clothings as well. There is a lot of paperwork in medicine though :/ Oh i also set the fire alarm off by accident when I went into the toilet, caused a bit of a panic ( I thought it was the light switch) - made the day more interesting :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GraceTheTortoise
Sorry, I can't help but i'll also have to do some hospital placements soon so i'm going to follow this thread :smile:

Np. Surina's post pretty much answers it all. And for leaving the hospital, you can leave whenever you want (alot of indepence) but its best to stay till 3 though, thats what most of the applicants did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending