The Student Room Group

Left lane to go straight on at a roundabout

I was taught by my instructor that if there are no road marking then you should only use the right lane for turning right at a roundabout.

But I know a roundabout where the entry has two lanes and turning left has two lanes but the other two exits have one lane. So cars use the right entry lane to turn left (in the right lane). It would be dangerous to use the left entry lane to go straight on.

So does my instructor's rule have exceptions? Are there any other exceptions?
Original post by 0-)
I was taught by my instructor that if there are no road marking then you should only use the right lane for turning right at a roundabout.

But I know a roundabout where the entry has two lanes and turning left has two lanes but the other two exits have one lane. So cars use the right entry lane to turn left (in the right lane). It would be dangerous to use the left entry lane to go straight on.

So does my instructor's rule have exceptions? Are there any other exceptions?

More exceptions than you could possibly list! Look at the road markings if you're approaching a roundabout with more than one lane or often there's a sign before the roundabout showing lane guidance.

Have you been on the Hangar Lane gyratory yet? That's where you get 'exceptions'.
Reply 2
Sometimes driving just requires common sense; indicate your intentions and be sure you check around you before exiting the roundabout. There are no hard and fast rules for everything in driving.

Quick Reply

Latest