The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Going to freshers events alone

Hello people of the internet of the land of tsr.

I'm going to be staying in a hotel on my own for the begining of term so I won't be "meeting my neighbours" like all the people that are staying in halls, I also don't really know anyone yet so the chances are I'll be going to the freshers events alone... I was just wondering how many other people will be doing that?

Do most people end up giong in groups with people they've met whilest moving in? Or are the majority alone to begin with?

I am slightly worried, It's easy to look like a lemon if you on your own at a club...

I do have a cunning plan though. I am going to go to pick up my nus card from the union at the busiest time possible so that I'll end up in a long queue and maybe be able to make a few quick friends during the wait.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey..everyones in the same position. I am also not living in halls, but am just gonna go to the party at bar med on he 15th and mingle......it will be easy to meet people and get chatting, don't worry yourself.I think i will prefer going around chatting to all sorts, rather than just staying in a group.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
every single fresher is in the same place as you.. thats 3,000 people...
so i wouldn't worry
It will push you into making friends more willingly, always a good thing.
Reply 4
Ah thats good news!
Reply 5
LARRRRRRRRRRRRY!!!! Sorry, I'm bored.. Go on facebook and find the QMUL group and try make some friends.
NW8_SW1_EC3
LARRRRRRRRRRRRY!!!! Sorry, I'm bored.. Go on facebook and find the QMUL group and try make some friends.

Lol. Be nice.
Reply 7
Hey! If you want to get to know people come to the Christian Union Events! On Monday 17th we're having a sports afternoon in Mile End Park, meeting at 2 in Library Square. On Thurs at 4.45pm in Arts G.02 we're having the main CU meeting then on Sun 23rd we're having a BBQ from 2 at the Chaplaincy (right by Queen's building. Come along.
Reply 8
don't worry at all!
i have studied at 12 schools already.
usually when i joined a new college, the students in there knew each other very much and i was just simply alone.
but i can still make some friends very soon, sometime successed, sometime failed :smile:
I'm in the same boat. Oh well- i'm sure we-ll all meet people and make friends if we make an effort. It worked first day of school/college/nursery etc- this shouldn't be too different...
Reply 10
When does fresher's week start for 1st years?
It started Saturday. I'm only just getting there today...
Did QM send out the freshers info to you or have you (anyone) found the info of dates/events by your own accord?
Reply 13
Got my freshers pack last week, but QM are famous for being rubbish at distributing info- I found out through the SU website

..is it bad that I haven't been to a single freshers event yet? Me not living in halls really isn't helping, lol
same here lol
QM are RUBBISH at correspondance. God- it's so annoying- it's like they can't really be bothered. Othr Uni's are not like this. I've been trawling the SU website- would it be sad if i turned up at the club tonight by..my...self? lol
Reply 16
If you don't like the idea of going to freshers without knowing anyone then we could organise something through here. There was talk of going to a pub on one of the topics.
Reply 17
Just go on your own..I have been to the last two and met loads of people...your be fine....Ministry of Sound wAS BRILLIANT last night...a bit too packed...but you missed a blinder!!!!! don't miss the next one!
Reply 18
Oh god don't get indoctrinated by the religious nuts taking over the uni, just get a drink in you and try and get chatty. Even if you just find one wingman it can make the whole experience a lot easier.
Reply 19
..is it bad that I haven't been to a single freshers event yet? Me not living in halls really isn't helping, lol

Ditto for both points. Wish I wasn't living at home. :P

Don't be too worried about going on your own. I'm going to Kiss me @ Purple e3 on Thursday, just try to make friends. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending