The Student Room Group

Losing my edge on revision...HELP!!

Hi guys, I need tips on writing good, concise notes that still have the detail needed for tests and exams. During the topic, I usually spend some time writing notes since my school keeps giving us worksheets that aren't good for revising but I realise I spend copious amounts of time writing it out than actually learning it. I still need notes to revise from but something I can quickly write up that have the detail to it.Any ideas????
Reply 1
Original post by A*Procrastinator
Hi guys, I need tips on writing good, concise notes that still have the detail needed for tests and exams. During the topic, I usually spend some time writing notes since my school keeps giving us worksheets that aren't good for revising but I realise I spend copious amounts of time writing it out than actually learning it. I still need notes to revise from but something I can quickly write up that have the detail to it.Any ideas????

I guess the quicker/efficient way is to do spider-diagrams i.e. one for each topic or sub-topic.
Ok I will try doing some, thx :smile:
What works for me is taking my notes from class or a work sheet, and then picking out the key words in the sentence in order to write tighter, more condensed notes. If you haven't highlighted/underlined something in a sentence, you probably don't need it. Take out fluff words and focus on the key things that are needed to get the mark. I like to bullet point: e.g. one bullet point = needed for 1 mark on a test paper. Although sometimes for wordy questions you might need multiple bullet points to equal a mark.

e.g. take this paragraph I've copied from Wikipedia on binary fission in prokaryotes:

Wikipedia
Binary fission takes place without the formation of a spindle apparatus in the cell. The single DNA molecule first replicates, then attaches each copy to a different part of the cell membrane. When the cell begins to pull apart, the replicated and original chromosomes are separated. The consequence of this asexual method of reproduction is that all the cells are genetically identical, meaning that they have the same genetic material (barring random mutations).

That's kind of wordy to remember, so first I'd highlight key words:

Wikipedia
Binary fission takes place without the formation of a spindle apparatus in the cell. The single DNA molecule first replicates, then attaches each copy to a different part of the cell membrane. When the cell begins to pull apart, the replicated and original chromosomes are separated. The consequence of this asexual method of reproduction is that all the cells are genetically identical, meaning that they have the same genetic material (barring random mutations).

Then in my notes, which fit on the back of a flashcard, I have it noted down (using slightly different language as I sourced my original information from a Powerpoint slide in class - not Wikipedia) as:

- Binary fission = asexual reproduction
- Starts with one chromonsome
- Chromosome duplicates
- Cell elongates
- Septum is formed
- Cell divides into two identical daughter cells

I'd obviously go into a little more detail in an exam scenario, but these key words (e.g. duplicates; elongates; septum) are like stepping stones that guide the way. This is a lot easier to memorise than a paragraph of text. Keeping it simple, and having lots of white space on a page, will also make the work feel a lot less intimidating as well. :smile: I can usually condense 8-12 A4 pages of notes taken in class or from a textbook down into 2-3.
(edited 7 years ago)
wow this was a detailed reply thx :h:

Quick Reply

Latest