The Student Room Group

A2 Biology synoptic essay (AQA)

I'm struggling with the essay title 'cycles in Biology' (25 marks) and was wondering if anyone has an example of this?

I know what I'm going to include in each of the paragraphs but I don't understand how to write it. I know it's all about breadth and not depth, which is where I'm struggling as I can't seem to stop writing in detail!

If someone has done this essay title or another similar, do you mind posting it so I can get an idea of how to write it/how much to write?

THANK YOUUU!

Also, this is my first attempt at writing one.
Hey, I have completed this essay and achieved 24/25 marks (I lost one mark due to grammar)

My advice would be to structure a paragraph as a 5 mark question of the topic.

My usual structure is;
Introduction (basic GCSE, A-level knowledge)
Ecological cycles
Clavin Cycle
Krebs Cycle
Nitrogen Cycle
Carbon/Phosphorous Cycle
(You need 5 topics at least to get into the top mark band)
+ additional further reading for instance metamorphosis.

In each paragraph I would use the structure;
Name the cycle e.g. calvin cycle, explain where it occurs and why it occurs and then describe the processes involved and then link back to the essay title and why it is a cycle.
Original post by KingAuthor
Hey, I have completed this essay and achieved 24/25 marks (I lost one mark due to grammar)

My advice would be to structure a paragraph as a 5 mark question of the topic.

My usual structure is;
Introduction (basic GCSE, A-level knowledge)
Ecological cycles
Clavin Cycle
Krebs Cycle
Nitrogen Cycle
Carbon/Phosphorous Cycle
(You need 5 topics at least to get into the top mark band)
+ additional further reading for instance metamorphosis.

In each paragraph I would use the structure;
Name the cycle e.g. calvin cycle, explain where it occurs and why it occurs and then describe the processes involved and then link back to the essay title and why it is a cycle.

Thank you this is very useful! My teacher said to write about 16 different topics. So I have 4 cycles for Biochemical, cellular, systems and ecosystems. I can write about each briefly but as a whole the essay ends up being about 4 or 5 pages, which I think is too much for this?
The essay is about quality not quantity. 16 topics is way too much. I would stuck with 5 detailed topics for the highest mark band. The essay should bbe no more than about two to three sides of A4 paper. You'll only have around 25-30 minutes in the exam.
Original post by KingAuthor
The essay is about quality not quantity. 16 topics is way too much. I would stuck with 5 detailed topics for the highest mark band. The essay should bbe no more than about two to three sides of A4 paper. You'll only have around 25-30 minutes in the exam.

Thanks for that! I think I could've done 8 with a lot of breadth and quality. Yet, the teacher wan't 16 :redface:
I've done a second essay today, and it's two A4 sides so I'm quite happy :smile:

Although, I'm definitely struggling with planning these on my own! Hopefully, the more I do, the easier it will become :smile:
If you look on the mark scheme for the essays, it says that it only wants 5 topics.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/biology/AQA-74023-SMS.PDF
Specimen paper 3, last question mark scheme.
This may help if you haven't seen this already!

Quick Reply

Latest