Lotttiie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am going on my duke of Edinburgh shortly and we have been given little information about what to cook, all we have been told is that we have to cook one evening meal. Does anyone have any previous experience of good meals to cook/ any disastrous choices to steer clear of?
niamhdoesmaths
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lotttiie)
I am going on my duke of Edinburgh shortly and we have been given little information about what to cook, all we have been told is that we have to cook one evening meal. Does anyone have any previous experience of good meals to cook/ any disastrous choices to steer clear of?
You're gonna live off pasta :lol:

Seriously though, you want porridge for breakfast, snacks for the walk (flapjacks and cereal bars are good choices), I never ate lunch because I just snacked pretty much all day, but you can basically have anything that doesn't involve cooking. For your evening meals you'll want something to revive you which is why many people bring pasta and some kind of sauce to go with it. It's easy enough to make and it tastes decent (ish ). You could also bring rice and curry sauce if you wanted?

On my expeditions (Silver) people have made:
Pasta and tomato sauce
Macaroni cheese that they added ham to
Pasta, spicy tomato sauce and chorizo
Rice and tikka sauce
And obviously the standard super noodles and hot dogs (they were sneaky though bc I don't think you're actually allowed to do this)
I think one group had soup but I really wouldn't recommend this because a) it's not very filling and b) tins weigh a ton.

You might even find you don't feel hungry for the evening meal - I didn't so never ate that much. I always forced myself to eat breakfast though because I knew I needed it. It was really hard though because I despise porridge :lol:

Good luck with your expedition, are you doing Bronze?
Lotttiie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by NiamhM1801)
You're gonna live off pasta :lol:

Seriously though, you want porridge for breakfast, snacks for the walk (flapjacks and cereal bars are good choices), I never ate lunch because I just snacked pretty much all day, but you can basically have anything that doesn't involve cooking. For your evening meals you'll want something to revive you which is why many people bring pasta and some kind of sauce to go with it. It's easy enough to make and it tastes decent (ish ). You could also bring rice and curry sauce if you wanted?

On my expeditions (Silver) people have made:
Pasta and tomato sauce
Macaroni cheese that they added ham to
Pasta, spicy tomato sauce and chorizo
Rice and tikka sauce
And obviously the standard super noodles and hot dogs (they were sneaky though bc I don't think you're actually allowed to do this)
I think one group had soup but I really wouldn't recommend this because a) it's not very filling and b) tins weigh a ton.

You might even find you don't feel hungry for the evening meal - I didn't so never ate that much. I always forced myself to eat breakfast though because I knew I needed it. It was really hard though because I despise porridge :lol:

Good luck with your expedition, are you doing Bronze?
Thank you so much! Yes I am doing my bronze, pasta seems like a good idea, thank you, also I feel like snacking would be a good idea over having a 'set' lunch. Cereal bars seem like the ones to go for as I can eat them throughout the day.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much! Yes I am doing my bronze, pasta seems like a good idea, thank you, also I feel like snacking would be a good idea over having a 'set' lunch. Cereal bars seem like the ones to go for as I can eat them throughout the day.
hey!
just a thought you may want to check out The Great Big D of E Megathread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4550480

niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No worries! I skipped out on bronze and just did silver, it was a bit of a shock :eek: Yeah, everyone eats pasta. Besides, bronze is only one night so if you don't like the food you know you'll be back home the next day! I found it helped having little snacks often, as it meant I didn't get stitches etc from walking after sitting down to eat. It saved us some time too! Yup, they're a good choice :yep:
han_pres
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I completed my bronze last year. We ended up having pasta with the ready made tomato sauce you mix in and flavoured rice which you add water too. We also had hot dogs which we added to the pasta. If you have pasta make sure you carry a reasonable amount and share the weight between the team as pasta can be heavy! Good luck with your expedition
rayestar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hahaha my group brought eggs and sausages!
i was surprised that none of the eggs broke during the expedition lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (140)
14.37%
I'm not sure (42)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (291)
29.88%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (476)
48.87%

Watched Threads