The Student Room Group

Will my AS kill my A?

So I have an AS Maths from a couple of years ago. I'm planning to take Maths a an A-level in college this September. Wat du?

Does my AS just get thrown away? What about its UCAS value?
Reply 1
No the AS mark for the subject you keep is added onto your overall A-level mark in the end for that subject. Thats what happened to me and everyone else when I was doing A-levels
Original post by almbou
No the AS mark for the subject you keep is added onto your overall A-level mark in the end for that subject. Thats what happened to me and everyone else when I was doing A-levels

So I'll retake the AS + A2 and complete it, and then my old AS UCAS value will add onto my AS + A2 UCAS value?
Reply 3
Original post by theartofblanks
So I'll retake the AS + A2 and complete it, and then my old AS UCAS value will add onto my AS + A2 UCAS value?

Why are you going to retake the AS?
Original post by almbou
Why are you going to retake the AS?

I did the AS back in 2015(or16?) through the British Council in Saudi Arabia. Now I'm planning on taking Maths as an A-level in college.
Reply 5
I did the AS back in 2015(or16?) through the British Council in Saudi Arabia. Now I'm planning on taking Maths as an A-level in college.

Oh okay, have you been told you need to redo the AS? I would assume you didn't need to and you would just need to do the A2 so the two marks can be added together for your final A-level grade.
Reply 6
So I have an AS Maths from a couple of years ago. I'm planning to take Maths a an A-level in college this September. Wat du?

Does my AS just get thrown away? What about its UCAS value?

I think it should be fine I'm retaking my C3 and C4 this year too since I did all Maths modules in one year. You jst need to retake it, if you want a better grade I think and AS modules are usually easier to gain more marks than A2.
Original post by almbou
Oh okay, have you been told you need to redo the AS? I would assume you didn't need to and you would just need to do the A2 so the two marks can be added together for your final A-level grade.

Ohh can I do that? I don't know how it works tbh lol.
Reply 8
Ohh can I do that? I don't know how it works tbh lol.

Yes I'm pretty sure. I don't see why you'd have to retake the AS. However you might have to retake it because its been 2 years since you did it, I don't know! When I was doing my A-levels I did the AS for the subject e.g Politics, then the AS mark I got was added onto my A2 mark for politics to get my overall A-level grade. Thats how A-levels usually work.
Original post by almbou
Yes I'm pretty sure. I don't see why you'd have to retake the AS. However you might have to retake it because its been 2 years since you did it, I don't know! When I was doing my A-levels I did the AS for the subject e.g Politics, then the AS mark I got was added onto my A2 mark for politics to get my overall A-level grade. Thats how A-levels usually work.

I think it'd be safer to hahah. I've probs forgotten most of it...

Quick Reply

Latest