Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need help!!!

so this is the deal; I want to study for a RESPECTED music technology degree, of which there are two in Britain; the Tonmeister in Guilford and the Music Technology Systems MEng in York (no offence to anyone who may be doing different music tech courses, but i really dont think they carry much weight in the industry).

The problem is i have no maths a-level, so i'm going to have to apply to the electronics foundation year at york and a maths foundation at guilford. I'm hoping to get a place on one of two courses which are basically in the same ballpark, through very different routes. So, in my personal statement, do i talk about music technology, electronics or maths????

Then theres the matter of my 4 other choices. . .i might apply for a few of the not quite as good music tech courses, or i might apply for a few english lit degrees (basically i'd walk these; ive been to loads of lectures and i've had the best english marks in my school consistently for the last 5 years). Either of these options adds an extra dimention of difficulty to the personal statement.

so, if anyone can offer me even the smallest piece of advice, I will love you forever.

btw, this is my first post. helo everyone, my name's rhys. I'm sure you're all fabulous!

ReputationRep:
    PM kimoni and if you ask nicely he might help you as he is going to york to do music tech and electronics i think

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Incomplete, will do.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, how did you know that, incomplete?!

(Original post by rhys_minion)
    I want to study for a RESPECTED music technology degree, of which there are two in Britain; the Tonmeister in Guilford and the Music Technology Systems MEng in York
    Yeah, that's the course I'm applying for.
    If you're interested in the York course, remember it's an MEng, not a BMus, BA... The course is primarily about electronics. This might put you off, it did for me at first, but then I became interested, looked at the other courses on offer, and decided it was the most worthwhile thing to do. Having been to the interview, I can say York are keen to avoid anyone who simply wants to do a Music Technology course (there isnt any actual music in the degree anyway), you'll have to convince them you're technically able. They want you to have maths and a science, such as physics. I hadn't done a science for A-Level so I had to convince them my standard of maths alone was good enough.

In your statement talk about all three, don't be a one trick horse. Universities like people with lots of interests and talents.

When it comes to your four other choices think very carefully. I am now in the situation where I have no insurance choice because I decided that all the other choices I made (bar York) were frankly a waste of time. Music technology courses are (sadly) generally not very demanding, the typical offer from the other unis I applied to (Herts, Brunel, Lancs, Keele) were around CCC. The course content is also rather watered down, I kept on seeing things such as 'introduction to MIDI', 'introduction to recording' and then in the second year moving on to 'sequencers'. the 4 other unis I chose I decided weren't going to be challenging enough to do for 3 whole years, and I wish I had chosen more wisely now. (for the record, the other uni I applied to was Edinburgh.. course looked good but they rejected me, don't apply unless you do music!).
    Which courses/unis are you thinking of?

Any other Qs, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (basically i'd walk these; ive been to loads of lectures and i've had the best english marks in my school consistently for the last 5 years)
    I doubt you would get into a good Uni for Eng Lit unless your personal statement was 100% focussed on English. A PS all about MIDI programming and acoustics with a mention of "going to loads of lectures" and enjoying the work of Edgar Allen Poe will not get you in.

ReputationRep:
    Kimoni, i agree with you totally about the standard of other music technology courses. The reason I'm applying to York is because, the way I see it, I can teach myself MIDI, recording etc and to a lesser extent music. I can't teach myself the electronics behind it. Also theres the added benefit of getting chartered engineer status.

The course at guilford is basically a slightly more demanding version of the majority of music tech courses, with smaller class sizes (they only take 24 students each year) and slightly more emphasis on music. The thing that makes it desirable is that lots of pro audio companies, studios, tv companies etc have links with the course and like to employ its graduates.

I must say, after thinking more about this, I'm leaning more towards directing my personal statement sqarely at the York course.

feedtheflamingo, what i meant to say was that if i made an english degree my primary objective and wrote a PS to match, I'd more or less be sure of a place at the uni of my choice (god, that makes me sound so snobbish )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoni)
    Blimey, how did you know that, incomplete?!
    my other account is messed up - speciez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhys_minion)
    Kimoni, i agree with you totally about the standard of other music technology courses. The reason I'm applying to York is because, the way I see it, I can teach myself MIDI, recording etc and to a lesser extent music. I can't teach myself the electronics behind it. Also theres the added benefit of getting chartered engineer status.

The course at guilford is basically a slightly more demanding version of the majority of music tech courses, with smaller class sizes (they only take 24 students each year) and slightly more emphasis on music. The thing that makes it desirable is that lots of pro audio companies, studios, tv companies etc have links with the course and like to employ its graduates.

I must say, after thinking more about this, I'm leaning more towards directing my personal statement sqarely at the York course.

feedtheflamingo, what i meant to say was that if i made an english degree my primary objective and wrote a PS to match, I'd more or less be sure of a place at the uni of my choice (god, that makes me sound so snobbish )
    OK, good luck to you... but make sure you have a backup plan, unlike me!
    (btw, got my grades yesterday and I'm into York! If you email me in a couple of months time I'll let you know how I'm finding it)

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.