cazzers123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zmarai123)
* If I get a High 5, Will that be a problem if both colleges I want to go to require a B in maths for the subjects I wanna do at A-Level?
OK I'm going to be very honest here; this probably isn't what you want to hear. A level maths is HARD. Like, REALLY HARD. It's a complete leap up from GCSE.
I got 92%, a very high A* in my GCSE maths and I really really struggled with much of th AS stuff this year- as have many people in my year. I'm at a brilliant private school with a truly excellent maths department and I found it tough. I'm considering dropping maths at the end of this year, having done the AS (praying for that A) because I found it so tricky and I'm not sure if I could hack another year of it.
Ergo, in all honesty, if you're not able to easily get AT LEAST an A at GCSE (whatever that is under the new system), YOU WILL REALLY REALLY STRUGGLE AT A LEVEL. The people in my year WHO GOT As are getting Cs and Ds at A level. IT IS NOT LIKE GCSE. If you are struggling to get a B/C now I can promise that you will hate A level and it will break you.
Othe subjects are a lot more content based- you can learn and apply the stuff but with maths you actually have to understand it. Having a through , through understanding of GCSE is a prerequisite. If you struggle with some of the more 'tricky' concepts at GCSE (e.g. Trig) you'll absolutely hate the A level. Please, please think twice about taking A level maths!! This isn't ment as a slight at all I just want to warn you so you don't end up having a breakdown next year xx
Ninjakiller
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Think the new system is a f-up depending on were your from its classed a A low B, but some class it as a high C. It's just one more thing to show that this Government don't have a clue. My Dad rest his soul always said if it isn't broke don't try and fix it as you will just F it up
Panda101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
so if you get a 5 in a higher paper what would that be considered?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads