senrab15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Currently in year 12. My sixth form is putting alot of pressure on deciding what uni course I would like to do now, and is informing me I should start [at least] considering what I'm going to write in my personal statement.

Everybody else seems to have it figured out. Or atleast have a vague idea in the area they would like to study - but I haven't got a clue.

So I guess my question is, where did everyone start? I want to go to university, but going just for the sake of it is pointless, right? I don't even know what to consider!?!

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I love biology, but I'm not sure where to go with it. Animals are a passion of mine, but I don't know if a career is the best idea in this area. At the moment I'm struggling with Chemistry, and geography isn't something I'd like to do in the future [I THINK - I'M KEEPING MY OPTIONS OPEN!]

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON PATHWAYS, COURSES OR MAYBE SOMEWHERE WHERE I COULD BEGIN TO LOOK WOULD BE AMAZING!
jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just tell them to go stuff themselves and say you are taking a year out so you have an extra year to decide.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They have no right to be applying pressure on you. It's a big decision and one that can't be rushed.
senrab15
Rep:
?
(Original post by markova21)
They have no right to be applying pressure on you. It's a big decision and one that can't be rushed.
(Original post by jambojim97)
Just tell them to go stuff themselves and say you are taking a year out so you have an extra year to decide.
They think I'll be more motivated if I see an end goal - which may be true, however it's making me more stressed. Should I be worried that I don't know?
jambojim97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by senrab15)
They think I'll be more motivated if I see an end goal - which may be true, however it's making me more stressed. Should I be worried that I don't know?
Seriously, just ignore them. It's not like they can kick you out just because you don't know what you want to do. Besides, there are more options post A Level than just university, such as higher apprenticeships, sponsored degrees or gap year schemes.

You really shouldn't be worried at all. It sounds like they're just being a-holes.
Nim_123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't feel pressured to decide which uni course you want to do.
You've still got time to decide. Maybe choose a part of a subject you like the most and look into uni courses related.
If you love animals maybe look into related uni courses even if it's not directly related it gives you an idea of what you might want to study.
It might helpful to use a website called unifrog, my friend said it helped her to decide what she wanted to do, but I don't know much about it.
Take your time though I have applied for two different courses which are kinda related. It might be easier to apply for two slightly different courses and decide after you've applied.
Good Luck
senrab15
Rep:
?
(Original post by jambojim97)
Seriously, just ignore them. It's not like they can kick you out just because you don't know what you want to do. Besides, there are more options post A Level than just university, such as higher apprenticeships, sponsored degrees or gap year schemes.

You really shouldn't be worried at all. It sounds like they're just being a-holes.
PHEW. I thought I was just really behind everyone else. Thankyou.

(Original post by Nimrahk123)
Don't feel pressured to decide which uni course you want to do.
You've still got time to decide. Maybe choose a part of a subject you like the most and look into uni courses related.
If you love animals maybe look into related uni courses even if it's not directly related it gives you an idea of what you might want to study.
It might helpful to use a website called unifrog, my friend said it helped her to decide what she wanted to do, but I don't know much about it.
Take your time though I have applied for two different courses which are kinda related. It might be easier to apply for two slightly different courses and decide after you've applied.
Good Luck
Thanks for your input. I'll have a look on the website
emduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I understand why they want to put pressure on you- because the time flies by. However last year when I was in year 12 at this time, I knew what I wanted to do, but most people I knew had no clue. Some people I know had no clue until December. It isn't something that can be rushed into, and if you have no clue what you want to do, don't feel like you have to rush to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Currently in year 12. My sixth form is putting alot of pressure on deciding what uni course I would like to do now, and is informing me I should start [at least] considering what I'm going to write in my personal statement.

Everybody else seems to have it figured out. Or atleast have a vague idea in the area they would like to study - but I haven't got a clue.

So I guess my question is, where did everyone start? I want to go to university, but going just for the sake of it is pointless, right? I don't even know what to consider!?!

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I love biology, but I'm not sure where to go with it. Animals are a passion of mine, but I don't know if a career is the best idea in this area. At the moment I'm struggling with Chemistry, and geography isn't something I'd like to do in the future [I THINK - I'M KEEPING MY OPTIONS OPEN!]

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON PATHWAYS, COURSES OR MAYBE SOMEWHERE WHERE I COULD BEGIN TO LOOK WOULD BE AMAZING!
Book onto a few local(ish) open days for the summer (June/July are the peak season for them) and go to a bunch of different talks about different courses. Even if you have no intention of going to those specific unis you should start to get a better idea of the differnet options.

and maybe approach it from a different direction: http://www.plotr.co.uk/ is great for working out the sorts of careers that might suit you...if you've got an idea of an end goal then plotting out your route to get there is a bit easier.
seize_the_day
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, until I had a "eureka" moment at the grand old age of 24!!

Don't worry if you don't know - so many people are in the same boat. A lot of people I went to school with went straight to uni for the sake of it... then couldn't find a use for the degree afterwards. It's a lot of debt for it not to be what you REALLY want to do. Don't feel pressured - a gap year won't go against you. 🙂
Artjen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those are the same A levels I did (back in the day...) Have you looked at Environmental Sciences? Try http://search.ucas.com/subject and look under "Physical Sciences". Chemistry was my worse subject too, I got a D but to this day I'm sure if I'd asked for more help (and from a different teacher) I could have done better.

Doing a degree "for the sake of it", while it has more serious financial implications than it did in my day, is not the end of the world either as a lot of graduate careers don't specify exactly what subject. One of my wildlife agency colleagues has a degree in English Literature...

Try the UCAS site and then send off for some prospectuses, doesn't cost anything.
senrab15
Rep:
?
(Original post by emduck)
I understand why they want to put pressure on you- because the time flies by. However last year when I was in year 12 at this time, I knew what I wanted to do, but most people I knew had no clue. Some people I know had no clue until December. It isn't something that can be rushed into, and if you have no clue what you want to do, don't feel like you have to rush to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm one of the people who doesn't know...all of my friends have a clue, and everyone else in year 12 ( who wishes to go down the uni pathway ) seems to know too! Hopefully I'll decide soon

(Original post by PQ)
Book onto a few local(ish) open days for the summer (June/July are the peak season for them) and go to a bunch of different talks about different courses. Even if you have no intention of going to those specific unis you should start to get a better idea of the differnet options.

and maybe approach it from a different direction: http://www.plotr.co.uk/ is great for working out the sorts of careers that might suit you...if you've got an idea of an end goal then plotting out your route to get there is a bit easier.
Do I book onto open days via the uni websites? Thanks for the idea. I'll look on the website

(Original post by seize_the_day)
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, until I had a "eureka" moment at the grand old age of 24!!

Don't worry if you don't know - so many people are in the same boat. A lot of people I went to school with went straight to uni for the sake of it... then couldn't find a use for the degree afterwards. It's a lot of debt for it not to be what you REALLY want to do. Don't feel pressured - a gap year won't go against you. 🙂
Thanks! If I decide to go, I want to do something that's worth it...

(Original post by Artjen)
Those are the same A levels I did (back in the day...) Have you looked at Environmental Sciences? Try http://search.ucas.com/subject and look under "Physical Sciences". Chemistry was my worse subject too, I got a D but to this day I'm sure if I'd asked for more help (and from a different teacher) I could have done better.

Doing a degree "for the sake of it", while it has more serious financial implications than it did in my day, is not the end of the world either as a lot of graduate careers don't specify exactly what subject. One of my wildlife agency colleagues has a degree in English Literature...

Try the UCAS site and then send off for some prospectuses, doesn't cost anything.
No, I haven't looked at that. I'll check it out!
I've sent off for some prospectuses - hopefully they come soon
spikeberry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

This is gonna be a longish reply but I really hope it helps you based on my experience this year.

I finished college last year, and I had NO IDEA what the hell I was doing with my life. I was convinced I didn't want to go to university AT ALL. All of my friends were preparing, going to interviews etc. I felt so pressured to go, and outcasted. After many, many talks with my tutor at the time. I realised that just because everyone else was in such a rush to go that didn't mean I should feel like I must, or for that matter even go at all.

I was still tossing and turning between what career I wanted to persue, and again, I had no idea that I even wanted to go to university. Taking a gap year is really good if you're wanting time out to relax from education, get some work experience and just in general chill!

I can quite confidently say that taking a year out was the best thing I've done in terms of education. I only decided that I infact wanted to go to university like a month before the application deadline!

But in this last year, from July 2016 - I have gained work experience in two different working fields, I have had trips away else where in the UK. And I'm going on holiday to Rome later in the year and possibly Malta too. All of these things wouldn't have happened if I had rushed myself. (Going abroad is a big deal for me because I've never been before!)

I don't know if this was an answer you were looking for, but what I am trying to say is that take your time. There is no rush or force to go to uni, there is no age restriction. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Best of luck!
mollyanne98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hi,

I’m currently in my first year, but my sixth form also put a lot of pressure on us to be deciding our futures. If you’re a bit confused over what to do, all you can do is research as much as possible. Look at university websites to see what courses are on offer. For example, you enjoy biology but there are so many other options than a straight biology course (derby offer zoology, biology, biology as a joint honours with something else, biomedical health, human biology etc.) so look at all your options. It also helped me massively to attend open days as then you can talk to lecturers and they can help point you in the right direction, this is how I decided on my course. They can offer you a lot of personalised advice that a website just can’t.

Good luck and let me know if there’s anything else I can help with,

Molly
LiamHolt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't want to seem like some weirdo who promotes their own forum posts but I made a post a couple of weeks back going over my journey to university and as you asked where did everyone start I think it could help you out a bit, here's a link.
senrab15
Rep:
?
(Original post by spikeberry)
This is gonna be a longish reply but I really hope it helps you based on my experience this year.

I finished college last year, and I had NO IDEA what the hell I was doing with my life. I was convinced I didn't want to go to university AT ALL. All of my friends were preparing, going to interviews etc. I felt so pressured to go, and outcasted. After many, many talks with my tutor at the time. I realised that just because everyone else was in such a rush to go that didn't mean I should feel like I must, or for that matter even go at all.

I was still tossing and turning between what career I wanted to persue, and again, I had no idea that I even wanted to go to university. Taking a gap year is really good if you're wanting time out to relax from education, get some work experience and just in general chill!

I can quite confidently say that taking a year out was the best thing I've done in terms of education. I only decided that I infact wanted to go to university like a month before the application deadline!

But in this last year, from July 2016 - I have gained work experience in two different working fields, I have had trips away else where in the UK. And I'm going on holiday to Rome later in the year and possibly Malta too. All of these things wouldn't have happened if I had rushed myself. (Going abroad is a big deal for me because I've never been before!)

I don't know if this was an answer you were looking for, but what I am trying to say is that take your time. There is no rush or force to go to uni, there is no age restriction. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Best of luck!
Thanks!

(Original post by mollyanne98)
Hi,

I’m currently in my first year, but my sixth form also put a lot of pressure on us to be deciding our futures. If you’re a bit confused over what to do, all you can do is research as much as possible. Look at university websites to see what courses are on offer. For example, you enjoy biology but there are so many other options than a straight biology course (derby offer zoology, biology, biology as a joint honours with something else, biomedical health, human biology etc.) so look at all your options. It also helped me massively to attend open days as then you can talk to lecturers and they can help point you in the right direction, this is how I decided on my course. They can offer you a lot of personalised advice that a website just can’t.

Good luck and let me know if there’s anything else I can help with,

Molly
I'll keep that in mind

(Original post by LiamHolt)
I don't want to seem like some weirdo who promotes their own forum posts but I made a post a couple of weeks back going over my journey to university and as you asked where did everyone start I think it could help you out a bit, here's a link.
Amazing..it's nice to hear from someone who's kind of in the same boat

UPDATE:
I ordered some prospectuses a few days ago. To be honest I ordered them randomly instead of based on a certain course [incase you think the universities are totally random]. I've now looked at Bournemouth, South Wales, Cardiff Met and Liverpool. Some courses that interest me are Forensic [science/biology] , Biology, Marine Biology, Veterinary Science [but I feel this is a very far-fetched dream]...nothing's definite yet. I'm going to order some more and read around
I also watched some YouTube videos and some advice here on TSR. All your advice has been very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads