Anyone Know Anything About Electrics? Watch

This discussion is closed.
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
A long shot I know but,
We are planning to install a 'home office' in the garden shed. In terms of wiring how should I do this to run:
Light
Sockets
A few storage heaters

The Run from the house will be about 150m - so there will be some voltage drop.
Questions)
What cable size from house to shed ??10mm??
What Amp rating RCBO/MCB is needed in the fuse box?
Are additional RCDs needed in the shed?

If anyone knows please let me know.
TIA
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by InterCity125)
A long shot I know but,
We are planning to install a 'home office' in the garden shed. In terms of wiring how should I do this to run:
Light
Sockets
A few storage heaters

Questions)

TIA
Seriously if you don't know you should really get an electricion to it. Electrics are dodgy. For starters the cable going to the shed has to be in special weather proof trunking. I am not sure what amp the fuse as to be in the house, but you can probably work it out. Additional RCDs in the shed would be a safety feature and I have a feeling it may be required by law.

The wiring regulations are constantly updating, the book I have is 1987 so its to out of date to be any use.

When wiring the shed make sure you use earth insultion on the bare earth ternimal in the cable when connecting lights, sockets and plug sockets etc. The lighting and ring main must also be on seperate circuits although you may be able to get away with running the lighting on the ring main providing they have their own fuses.

I would have a fuse box/circuit breaker in the shed and from this run a low amp lighting circuit and a higher ampage ring main form it.

You really need to speak to an electrition though even if you do wiring yourself make sure you get it inspected by a qualified spark.

Messing about with this stuff is dangerous, the most i have done is extended the ring main, I would never wire a new circuit into the fuse box etc. I have wired our alarm but I ran that of the lighting circuit and had a seperate fuse to it (this is legal).

[B]PS I would speak to an electrion before I even attempt this myself, there is probably a lot more to it than what I have said.
Col-C
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Questions)

TIA
I know what I'd do in this situation, but I'm nowhere near qualified, so I'm not going to suggest anything. I really don't want to be responsible for killing you

Whatever you decide to do, you may like to know that Part P of the Wirign Regulations may be passed any time soon, meaning that any new major electrical work needs to be be certified by a qualified electrician.

At the moment, it's not law, but it may be soon - so keep your eyes open

More info: http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/partp.cfm and http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/IEE_Part_P.pdf
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Col-C)
I know what I'd do in this situation, but I'm nowhere near qualified, so I'm not going to suggest anything. I really don't want to be responsible for killing you

Whatever you decide to do, you may like to know that Part P of the Wirign Regulations may be passed any time soon, meaning that any new major electrical work needs to be be certified by a qualified electrician.

At the moment, it's not law, but it may be soon - so keep your eyes open

More info: http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/partp.cfm and http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/IEE_Part_P.pdf
What is classed as major wiring work? Would extending a circuit or adding in alarm count or is just stuff like fuse box replacement or full rewires?
Col-C
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
What is classed as major wiring work? Would extending a circuit or adding in alarm count or is just stuff like fuse box replacement or full rewires?
The problem is, I'm not entirely sure they have decided. Personally, I'd think stuff like changing light fittings and switches etc is probably minor, but anything which would potentially change the load on a ring is major - as I say, I really am not sure

It does look like it will be compulsory for certain installations though: Kitchens, bathrooms, fountains etc

I wish I knew a bit more about it. Perhaps they will actually teach me some of this stuff before I graduate!

Plus, I think it's only work carried out after Part P comes into force.....otherwise they would have to certify millions of installations from teh past.
InterCity125
Rep:
?
I'm pretty competent with the old juice. I've done a fair bit arround the house and it was worked very well. I would have the finished job checked by the SEEBOARD for safety.
An electrician would charge the earth for this job, and it is not really a hard one. I would have thought that double RCBO protection - one in house and an RCD again on the shed CU would do the job and 10mm would be more than big enough. However, thanks very much.
I have installed onto the fuse box before and when we had an electrian out for something else he said it was a good job. I think that AT is right and I will do it that way, but I will run the final ideas by a qualified person - if one will come out for what is essentialy a chat!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm pretty competent with the old juice. I've done a fair bit arround the house and it was worked very well. I would have the finished job checked by the SEEBOARD for safety.
An electrician would charge the earth for this job, and it is not really a hard one. I would have thought that double RCBO protection - one in house and an RCD again on the shed CU would do the job and 10mm would be more than big enough. However, thanks very much.
I have installed onto the fuse box before and when we had an electrian out for something else he said it was a good job. I think that AT is right and I will do it that way, but I will run the final ideas by a qualified person - if one will come out for what is essentialy a chat!
That is probably what I would so as youre not essential working with live mains. Before you connect to the main fuse box in the house get the shed checked out a spark, they probably won't charge that much.

I would quite like to do evening course in wiring when I graduate just for my own amusement so if I ever get a house I can do the rewiring myself. I could never do it as a job though.

I know there are some dodgy things in my house like low voltage mains hologram lights in the bath room which are designed for it (I didn't wire them my mate did a few years back) and an extractor fan on an old 1970's emergan (sp) heater circuit (although I did replace the fuse with a 5amp one).
InterCity125
Rep:
?
That is probably what I would so as youre not essential working with live mains. Before you connect to the main fuse box in the house get the shed checked out a spark, they probably won't charge that much.

I would quite like to do evening course in wiring when I graduate just for my own amusement so if I ever get a house I can do the rewiring myself. I could never do it as a job though.

I know there are some dodgy things in my house like low voltage mains hologram lights in the bath room which are designed for it (I didn't wire them my mate did a few years back) and an extractor fan on an old 1970's emergan (sp) heater circuit (although I did replace the fuse with a 5amp one).
Thanks for that advice. Seems sound to me!
Doing an electricans course is something I would like to do as well, but don't have the time at the moment - could send my Dad - nothing better to do when retired I suppose!
dave134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also, depending on what type of earth connection your house has, you are either required to put an earth spike in the shed, or forbidden from doing so.

You would definitely need to read up on your regs for that one.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks for that advice. Seems sound to me!
Doing an electricans course is something I would like to do as well, but don't have the time at the moment - could send my Dad - nothing better to do when retired I suppose!
Lol I meant to say not designed for it. But the 240v and transformer is will hidden from any moist from the bathroom even so the peopel at the IEE will have a field day.
InterCity125
Rep:
?
(Original post by dave134)
Also, depending on what type of earth connection your house has, you are either required to put an earth spike in the shed, or forbidden from doing so.

You would definitely need to read up on your regs for that one.
Ours is the TN-CS type - the earth is run by the neutral and goes to earth along the board's network. That would mean no spike, just the supply to the shed being wired to the earth block in the fuse board.

Anyone got a formula for finding voltage drop?
I will go to the library and get a copy of the wiring regs.
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you have to ask this question on a forum then you really really should get an qualified electrican to do it!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
If you have to ask this question on a forum then you really really should get an qualified electrican to do it!
He seems to know his stuff, and wiring isn't really difficult, its just simply screwing wires into ternimals and cutting them off, why pay an election £30 an hour to do that?

As longs as he gets the final work inspection by a qualified spark there is no problems.
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He seems to know his stuff, and wiring isn't really difficult, its just simply screwing wires into ternimals and cutting them off, why pay an election £30 an hour to do that?

As longs as he gets the final work inspection by a qualified spark there is no problems.

I still say unless you really know what you're doing its irresponsible to do the wiring yourself. Oh and you'd need Armoured cable to layoutside.
InterCity125
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vladek)
I still say unless you really know what you're doing its irresponsible to do the wiring yourself. Oh and you'd need Armoured cable to layoutside.
Thanks for your concern. I do know what I'm doing but want to make sure it is corrent. There are perfectly safe ways which are not up to the letter of the regulations, but I want to be fully compliant.
I have just got the full IEE regs and guidance notes and will read through them to be sure. After reading the regs you are as good as an electrian is, they are trained to the regs and work to them.
I will be using armoured as that is what the regs say, but some people say that T+E in conduit is safe.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is how not to wire your house/shed some picture taken form a hotel a I stated in spain, and this hotel was quite posh too.
InterCity125
Rep:
?
This is how not to wire your house/shed some picture taken form a hotel a I stated in spain, and this hotel was quite posh too.
Ye Gods!!
Thats for your advice AT. I am going through the regs to make a final design. Given the complecity of the regs - much of it beyond A-level Physics, how many sparks do you imagine understand them all?
Thanks, again.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ye Gods!!
Thats for your advice AT. I am going through the regs to make a final design. Given the complecity of the regs - much of it beyond A-level Physics, how many sparks do you imagine understand them all?
Thanks, again.
Probably not many, it depends how qualified they are I guess, they probably just know this how its done, rather than understand exactly why you need to it.
dave134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Probably not many, it depends how qualified they are I guess, they probably just know this how its done, rather than understand exactly why you need to it.
How much of the regs is single phase only?

The maths behind 3-phase needs complex numbers to be easily understood!
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just don't kill yourself!!

but armoured cable is the way to go in my opinion at least if you hit it with a pickaxe you'll probably get away with it! Just don't hook it up to the mains until you're sure its right, always use insulated screw drivers and only touch stuff with one hand at a time.

I've got a letter in the post from the IEE, it eiether says they're inviting me to be a full member or that they don't want me, quiet nervous actually.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.54%
No (392)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise