The Student Room Group

When is it okay to hit your kid?

Hear me out. I don't want to be one of those parents who constantly give their kids an ass whooping but I'm also not going to be those who ground them as a punishment. I wouldn't hit my child if they were under the age of 10. But older than that, if "talking" doesn't work, they need to get hit. Chat ****, get hit you know... Not anything that'll leave a scar or anything. I never want to make my kids feel scared of me though and not trust me with anything. Not condoning child abuse or anything but yeah.

Scroll to see replies

Never. God forbid you ever have children.
(edited 7 years ago)
I understand what you mean if they really don't listen and consistently rebel it can be hard, it depends what you mean by hit though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never. :naughty:
Original post by habeas.corpus
Never. I hope you don't ever have kids.

OMG chill... I'm not going to hit them for something bad but if they do something like, RAPE or kill someone
Original post by Brooklyn2000
I understand what you mean if they really don't listen and consistently rebel it can be hard, it depends what you mean by hit though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just like a slap
Original post by Hydeman
Never. :naughty:

What if they make someone paralysed/blind/deaf, kill someone or rape them? CAUse believe me , some kids do that
It's illegal so never
It is never a good idea at all, it can have severe negative effects for the child and causes them to rebel against the parents. If you want your child to be obedient, lashing out in anger and hitting is not the way to go, it only makes matters worse.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anfanny
It's illegal so never

So is watching movies on torrent sites
Original post by emerald7770
Hear me out. I don't want to be one of those parents who constantly give their kids an ass whooping but I'm also not going to be those who ground them as a punishment. I wouldn't hit my child if they were under the age of 10. But older than that, if "talking" doesn't work, they need to get hit. Chat ****, get hit you know... Not anything that'll leave a scar or anything. I never want to make my kids feel scared of me though and not trust me with anything. Not condoning child abuse or anything but yeah.

It is never okay. And physically abusing your children will make them scared of you; that is why you are wanting to hit them - to scare them into submission.

OMG chill... I'm not going to hit them for something bad but if they do something like, RAPE or kill someone

If they rape or kill someone this points to otherwise bad parenting. Then hitting them won't correct your parental mishaps. Not to mention it's a bit of an under-reaction.
I'm determined to NEVER hit my own kids (I think you know why) :h:
I never want to hit my kids but sometimes kids need it. I swear.
I won't dw
Violence is never the answer when it comes to raising children.
I get where you're coming from (particular parenting method used by my dear ol' loved ones :redface:)
But there's a saying upon a view I've seen (pic below) that also has a point:

Attachment not found

I guess - if you really think it's needed and your little angel is on the verge of turning to the dark side and action is needed, it's your child. I won't tell you how to raise your kid. But always a last-resort. But avoid at all costs - arguments, frustration will always arise - patience is key, no matter how hard you must try. Ignore em, give em the hard-shoulder punishment, whatever it takes. Hopefully you can raise em without needing to rely on this option.
Sometimes I think I could make a good Dad in my head... but the real world is somethin else, good and bad :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Nothing wrong with a good smack to set them straight. No wonder so many disobedient kids are growing up, they don't get the decipline they need.
As long as youre not abusive to the point where you leave scars then theres nothing wrong with it.
Many kids have had this upbringing and they've learnt their lessons, and haven't gone crazy or anything. We need to stop acting if there's anything wrong with it for crying out loud.

If my kid is going to be a disrespectful brat despite knowing better then they could expect to feel the back of a wooden spoon on their arsecheek.

I grew up with that and learned not to be a little ***** to my parents or other people.
Original post by anonymous
nothing wrong with a good smack to set them straight. No wonder so many disobedient kids are growing up, they don't get the decipline they need.
As long as youre not abusive to the point where you leave scars then theres nothing wrong with it.
Many kids have had this upbringing and they've learnt their lessons, and haven't gone crazy or anything. We need to stop acting if there's anything wrong with it for crying out loud.

thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Nothing wrong with a good smack to set them straight. No wonder so many disobedient kids are growing up, they don't get the decipline they need.

But who are the parents to decide/know what's scarring and what isn't?
Reply 19
Nothing wrong with a smack on the bum, it's not the physical pain that's supposed to make them realise and behave (so never go for the Face or anything more than a slap/spank), it's showing the extent of how cross you are that's suppose to make them realise they need to behave/shake them up, so use it rarely and wisely.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply