The Student Room Group

Rotameters

How does a rotameter measure fluid flow?
So far i know that the height at which the float rests is a height which the net force acting on the float is 0. So sum of the buoyancy, weight and drag? what is this drag force? I have looked online and failed to find a full concept video, if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it
thanks
Original post by jonnypdot
How does a rotameter measure fluid flow?
So far i know that the height at which the float rests is a height which the net force acting on the float is 0. So sum of the buoyancy, weight and drag? what is this drag force? I have looked online and failed to find a full concept video, if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it
thanks

I can't advise on this type of flow meter specifically as I did not cover it during my studies (and, in fact, I really wasn't that good at control & instrumentation where we covered various flow meters anyway). But, to start with, I would draw a free body diagram of the meter, to see if that helps. It's generally easier to see how something works via a diagram or drawing of some sort (hence why they're so ubiquitous in engineering).

Quick Reply

Latest