Justfedup
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The only teaching experience I have is as a tutor, and I have 2:2 in psychology, I think I could teach gcse science or primary. Do I srand chance of getting in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Justfedup)
The only teaching experience I have is as a tutor, and I have 2:2 in psychology, I think I could teach gcse science or primary. Do I srand chance of getting in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't comment on teaching GCSE, but I have noticed that most, if not all, Primary PGCE providers have a requirement of a certain amount of teaching in a primary school before application. Sometimes it's about 3 weeks, sometimes it's less than that but with the requirement of ranging across different classes and key stages. Your experience as a tutor might help a little, but focus on getting the basic requirements of the PGCE course in regard to work experience in schools, and then go from there.

Several unis accept 2:2 degrees (though again, I can only comment on Primary as that's all I've researched) - UEA is one example of this.

For teaching Science at the Secondary level, you'd likely have to show to the Secondary PGCE provider that your degree is relevant enough to Science as well.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Talk to some science pgce providers and see what they say. In the worst case scenario, you could do a more science based masters prior to doing the pgce.
username944192
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get some work experience in schools. You could also apply to Teach First, they only require a 2.2 and I've never heard of anyone get rejected from them. They offer primary and science at high school.
Justfedup
Rep:
?
(Original post by infairverona)
Get some work experience in schools. You could also apply to Teach First, they only require a 2.2 and I've never heard of anyone get rejected from them. They offer primary and science at high school.
I don't have enough ucas points only 260 and my B in Aslevel math doesn't count otherwise woild have had 310
Powersymphonia
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can certainly get on a PGCE with a 2:2. Especially in the Science as it is a shortage subject at the moment and schools really need more Science teachers. I have a 2:2 and I'm halfway through my PGCE in Post-16 education at the moment. I love it.

Get some experience in a school first though. The recommended minimum amount by most universities is about 3 days but I'd say get at least 2 weeks to strengthen your application.
Justfedup
Rep:
?
(Original post by Powersymphonia)
You can certainly get on a PGCE with a 2:2. Especially in the Science as it is a shortage subject at the moment and schools really need more Science teachers. I have a 2:2 and I'm halfway through my PGCE in Post-16 education at the moment. I love it.

Get some experience in a school first though. The recommended minimum amount by most universities is about 3 days but I'd say get at least 2 weeks to strengthen your application.
But I checked and I don't meet the grade requirements for tecahing science
Powersymphonia
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But I checked and I don't meet the grade requirements for tecahing science
What does it say the requirements are for teaching Science are?
Justfedup
Rep:
?
(Original post by Powersymphonia)
What does it say the requirements are for teaching Science are?
Alevel B or 50% degree scientific

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (692)
33.79%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (873)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (391)
19.09%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.49%

Watched Threads