How would a cumulative frequency graph be plotted for this?

Watch
jojo55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there. Can a cumulative frequency graph be plotted for the attached stem and leaf?

Would the x-axis be 'test scores'? Then I plot, 7, 25 (as 7 + 15), 43 (25 +18), ......and so on?

Would I have the y-axis as 'number of employees'?.

It just seems a bit weird as it is discrete data that I am using.

Pls help .
Attached files
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jojo55)
Hi there. Can a cumulative frequency graph be plotted for the attached stem and leaf?

Would the x-axis be 'test scores'? Then I plot, 7, 25 (as 7 + 15), 43 (25 +18), ......and so on?

Would I have the y-axis as 'number of employees'?.

It just seems a bit weird as it is discrete data that I am using.

Pls help .
Yes, your x-axis will be "test score", but your y-axis is "cumulative number of employees".

To start, your graph will be zero up to, but not including x=7, then 1 from x=7 (inclusive) to x=18 (excluded) the next lowest test score. Etc. Each time the graph will increase when x reaches a value the employees actaully scored and the increase will be by the number of employees that have that score.

I can't work out your thinking process for the 25 - where does the 15 comes from? Similarly for the 43 - where does the 18 comes from?
CraigFowler
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would personally answer it the following way:-

Do table of Test Score (with class widths of 5), ie test score 0-5; 6-10; 11-15 etc
Write next to this the frequency that this score was achieved, from the raw stem and leaf data.
Then another column for cumulative frequency then plot. test score on x axis against cumulative frequency. Remember to plot test score with the upper class boundary, e.g. 5.5, 10.5 etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (169)
14.68%
I'm not sure (53)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (338)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (557)
48.39%

Watched Threads