The Student Room Group

Degree subjects section on PGCE application

Hiya, I am currently in the process of applying for PGCE science. However I am confused with the degree subjects in the qualifications section. It has 10 places for main subjects and 10 for other subjects. I have some questions.

Would you use module titles in this section?
Also would you only include subjects from your last 2 years on your degree?
I have done about 25 different modules in 2 years so cant list them all. How do I go about that?
I have applied to do a Biology Undergrad ambassidor scheme but don't know if I'm on the course until I have the interview in the 1st week of October. Should I wait until I know before entering it?
Finally how do you do the percentage (time spent) section? This is confusing as I have done more then 20 subjects in total.

Everything else is fine on the application by the way.
Thanks
Reply 1
Subjects and courses can be seen differently. Did you study 50% biology and 50% chemistry? what is the title of your undergrad degree?
Reply 2
Well my degree is mainly centred around Biology but we have used chemistry in practicals obviously. My degree is BSc Biology. So its just subject content they are wanting?
Almost everyone on the TES forums divided their modules into subject areas. I do English and mine are like:

Post-1800 Literature
Pre-1800 Literature
English Language
Medieval Literature
American Literature
Etc...

Yours might be something like Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, for example.
Reply 4
more adventurous
Almost everyone on the TES forums divided their modules into subject areas. I do English and mine are like:

Post-1800 Literature
Pre-1800 Literature
English Language
Medieval Literature
American Literature
Etc...

Yours might be something like Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, for example.

This is the way I did mine too. My degree was Psychology so I grouped the units as Statistics, Biology, Developmental Psych etc and then just worked out the percentage of time spent.
Reply 5
Did you put all your subjects in the main section or some in the other section? Mine are in the main section as follows: -
Statistics 12%
Practical skills 15%
Environment 10%
Conservation 10%
Animal Behaviour 10%
Biodiversity 10%
Physiology 10%
Molecular Biology 8%
Ethics in Science 5%
Evolution 10%

Does this seem ok? thanks
Reply 6
I am having this problem as well! I just put my module titles and the amount of credits carried by each (usually 20).

Extended Essay
Shakespeare's Afterlives
Tragedy
Songs and Sonnets
Literature Post 1945
etc.

Is this the right idea? Or do I just need to identify general periods/styles studied? I'm applying for English.

Would really appreciate some tips! Thank you!
Reply 7
UCAS's guidance, which appears whe you click the blue (?) symbol next to time spent/credits, mentions both modules and subjects, which doesn't help. I don't think it matters too much. They ask for this information primarily because 50% of your degree needs to be in the subject that you want to teach and so they need to make sure that joint honours students etc meet this requirement. I think I put English 100% on my form and none of the course providers to which I applied had a problem with this, but I would follow the guidance on UCAS, which seems to suggest that they want modules.
Reply 8
Thank you Pierson! Hopefully it won't be the end of the world whatever, as long as it's clear that I have studied English sufficiently which I think I have! It's just so easy to get stressed about these little details!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending