Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

EE Question help!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, im doing my first year of IB and i'm kinda stuck about what exactly to do my EE on. I know that I want to do English so i've been reading around for a while and I came across The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I'm currently reading it now. I kind of came up with the question How does Oscar Wilde present youth and beauty as a destructive force in the novel The Picture of Dorian Gray? I was just wondering if that would be a valid question. Is it too narrow?too broad? Suggestions are also welcome. Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    I've finished my EE but it's on history. However, I do study english literature hl... Most of the English EEs at my school focuses on a comparison of two texts (so that it's more original, more different angles to analyze). the question itself is fine, but i don't know the text so I probably cannot tell you whether it's too specific / vague.

I would suggest you to ask your supervisor tbh, it's early at your stage, but once you were assigned one, go ask for more advices good luck
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Arianne0519)
    hey guys, im doing my first year of IB and i'm kinda stuck about what exactly to do my EE on. I know that I want to do English so i've been reading around for a while and I came across The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I'm currently reading it now. I kind of came up with the question How does Oscar Wilde present youth and beauty as a destructive force in the novel The Picture of Dorian Gray? I was just wondering if that would be a valid question. Is it too narrow?too broad? Suggestions are also welcome. Thank you!!
    (Original post by sweetcutiepie)
    I've finished my EE but it's on history. However, I do study english literature hl... Most of the English EEs at my school focuses on a comparison of two texts (so that it's more original, more different angles to analyze). the question itself is fine, but i don't know the text so I probably cannot tell you whether it's too specific / vague.

I would suggest you to ask your supervisor tbh, it's early at your stage, but once you were assigned one, go ask for more advices good luck
    Definitely, agree with this. I am a second year IB student as well and I did my EE in History as well :rofl:

I somehow doubt that you can write a 3000-4000 words essay on that question as it is a bit too narrow (I am sure there is a lot to talk about knowing Oscar Wilde). I think a comparison between two text would be the best like the previous user suggested. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Here are some general samples: ibessays.org/samples

ReputationRep:
    I want to write from English A literature, category 2. I want my research question to be something like "To what extend does alienation from society cause individuals to judge/criticize it?" The books I chose are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai. please help? our teacher is so terrific that she wasn't familiar with the ee guide enough to know that such a two-books-one-in-translation essay was possible... EE Report Form 1 is due next week, she already "approved" the above topic but I doubt she knows what shes doing....

ReputationRep:
    hey! not sure if i'm too late to be of any help here, but i recently finished by e.e. in english literature. my question was "In which ways do narrative elements in John Fowles’s The Magus communicate postmodern ideas?" ... my supervisor did tell me that comparison is in fact the most frequent form of english e.e.. however, i chose a relatively pin-pointed question myself because i know that i am a verbose person and that filling a word count is not a problem.. it's a matter of knowing yourself! it's very possible to write an e.e. on one aspect of a book (i did it!). i would suggest making a list of the big lines of what you want to talk about in order to get a general idea of how much you have to say. another thing that was an option for me (depends on your supervisor and how strict they are!) was to re-adjust my question as new ideas formed and organised themselves through my reading... remember you can get creative with your question's formulation to make it fit around your talking points! i do know that comparison can make structuring your essay easier, although the comparison doesn't necessarily have to be novel-novel. for me, that comparison was between a novel and postmodernism, which helped me outline things more distinctly.

one solid piece of advice i was given was to avoid books that the person marking will be likely to have seen analysed many times before.. it (generally) makes them lose interest (they're only human!) and be more critical given they're heard many of the ideas before. another thing to avoid might be claims that are poorly substantiated. a girl in my class, having written her comparative essay in french literature, had to rewrite most of it because her supervisor judged she had not offered sufficient proof of her claims

if ever you have any particular questions about english e.e.s, don't be afraid to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanracesvice)
    I want to write from English A literature, category 2. I want my research question to be something like "To what extend does alienation from society cause individuals to judge/criticize it?" The books I chose are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai. please help? our teacher is so terrific that she wasn't familiar with the ee guide enough to know that such a two-books-one-in-translation essay was possible... EE Report Form 1 is due next week, she already "approved" the above topic but I doubt she knows what shes doing....
    Hi,

The trouble with this topic as phrased is that it is not the right focus -- you will end up with something other than a literary EE. You will have a sociological focus instead. All wrong! Let me think what might work better, but remind me in a couple of hours if you you don't hear from me (message me). I'll see what I can come up with that would work better.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most of what the others say -- and, your topic it is way too obvious. "Originality" is one of the main things you must strive for in your EE. Because you dealing with the works in precisely the same standard way they have been discussed and analysed for years, your EE will be (at the very best) PASS.

ReputationRep:

I did mine on visual arts, but I do have many classmates who did theirs on literature. I would agree with @sweetcutiepie that it might be better to go for a comparative approach. (Just came back from a competition, and all the literature projects I saw there were comparisons....so it might be smart to just roll with that flow :dontknow:)

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.