Does research support the idea that young children are ‘egocentric’?* Discuss, using Watch

karol1103
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does research support the idea that young children are ‘egocentric’? Discuss, using evidence and ideas from developmental psychology. (1500)

How would you tackle this? and who would you mostly talk about?
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by karol1103)
Does research support the idea that young children are ‘egocentric’? Discuss, using evidence and ideas from developmental psychology. (1500)

How would you tackle this? and who would you mostly talk about?
You need to read the literature first, and the ideas (particularly the main criticisms of the theory) in there will tell you how to structure your essay.

You will likely want to spend most of your time detailing the most important criticisms of the egocentrism theory in a separate paragraphs, and giving your own evaluation for each criticism in the paragraph.

One of the main criticisms of Piaget's "tasks" is that younger children would fail the tasks Piaget used because they were unnecessarily complicated (i.e. you get false negative errors).
karol1103
Rep:
?
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
You need to read the literature first, and the ideas (particularly the main criticisms of the theory) in there will tell you how to structure your essay.

You will likely want to spend most of your time detailing the most important criticisms of the egocentrism theory in a separate paragraphs, and giving your own evaluation for each criticism in the paragraph.

One of the main criticisms of Piaget's "tasks" is that younger children would fail the tasks Piaget used because they were unnecessarily complicated (i.e. you get false negative errors).
my lecture literally starts with skinners approach and the concept of conditioning, then goes on to talk about schemas, and the four cognitive stages.. and then research issues etc. but I'm afraid that won't be enough? do you think i should link in Vygotsky or just leave it at that?
bethjpat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Look into Piagets three mountain task, its all about children and egocentrism- there is lots of research on that
karol1103
Rep:
?
(Original post by bethjpat)
Look into Piagets three mountain task, its all about children and egocentrism- there is lots of research on that
thanks very much, but how else would you do this? as I've mentioned before, all i have is Piaget feel like i need so much more!!!
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by karol1103)
thanks very much, but how else would you do this? as I've mentioned before, all I have is Piaget feel like I need so much more!!!
Its strange that you haven't covered it in lectures yet. However, at university, you're expected to be able to do the relevant research yourself. I would start by looking at textbooks in developmental psychology or cognitive development (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-D...ve+development ) and read about Piaget and egocentrism, and find the relevant articles to read from there. Once you've found relevant articles, you can use google scholar to find "related articles" or articles that cite your article (and look at the references in the articles you find). One of the main skills of being in university is in finding your own resources
karol1103
Rep:
?
thank you, you've been very helpful xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads