Report 3 years ago
Nope not at all.
PrettymuchGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For the absolute worst crimes, yes.
I believe some people just deserve to have their grave pissed on as soon as possible.
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It says an awful lot about a person if they support the government killing unarmed, non-combatants

Posted from TSR Mobile
EC
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
It's a controversial and complex issue, is there ever really a good enough reason for the state to end someone’s life? I don't think so.

Executing a murderer doesn't compensate for the life of the victim and I think the best punishment for the worst crimes against humanity is for them to be forced to live their lives in captivity.

The death penalty leads to the brutalization of society and disturbed individuals may be angered by the punishment and thus even more likely to commit murder.
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes. People who kill people should be killed.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, I don't agree with it at all, I think it's wrong to take someone's life, whatever they've done. After all, how are we better than the criminals if we resort to such methods?

Morality aside, capital punishment is more costly, doesn't act as a deterrent, and makes a jury less likely to convict, not to mention wrongful incarcerations.

Personally I fail to see any real benefits to the death penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No.

Why? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Clark
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You'll likely be met with people who are okay with situations like this as long as it means they get to satisfy their medieval bloodlust or the nonsense argument about how executing innocent people is no different to imprisoning innocent people

Posted from TSR Mobile
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
Yes. People who kill people should be killed.
So who kills the people who kill the murderers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
You'll likely be met with people who are okay with situations like this as long as it means they get to satisfy their medieval bloodlust or the nonsense argument about how executing innocent people is no different to imprisoning innocent people
Oh, probably.

Thank God the papers aren't in charge of convictions...!
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
It says an awful lot about a person if they support the government killing unarmed, non-combatants

Posted from TSR Mobile
You say this as if governments wouldn't dare dream of such thing? Or as if in history the concept is unfamiliar?
Richard0328
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you!
people who kill (or at least have that capability) are not necessarily murderers
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Richard0328)
thank you!
people who kill (or at least have that capability) are not necessarily murderers
I would agree, some who have killed will have done so in self defence, for example, but would be classified in the same manner according to the earlier post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Richard0328
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would agree, some who have killed will have done so in self defence, for example, but would be classified in the same manner according to the earlier post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
this is why we have the rules of engagement. A weapon can only be discharged when life is threatened otherwise it is murder
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is this a trick question?
The state executioner, of course.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
Is this a trick question?
The state executioner, of course.
It's not a trick question, no - but your post said that people who kill people should be killed. So by extension, surely anyone who executes the death penalty should also be killed, as they've done it to someone else?
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Richard0328)
this is why we have the rules of engagement. A weapon can only be discharged when life is threatened otherwise it is murder
Where have you got this idea from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not a trick question, no - but your post said that people who kill people should be killed. So by extension, surely anyone who executes the death penalty should also be killed, as they've done it to someone else?
Very clever, but I want to debate this subject seriously.

Look, anyone who opposes the reintroduction of the death penalty on the basis of it not deterring crime, as you and EC clearly believe, should look at the data. Since the abolition of hanging, the homicide rate has more than doubled, reaching its peak in 2002.

Sure, it's very difficult to say how much effect the abolition of the death penalty has had on these findings. It's important to note that the murder rate in 1952 (when we still had the death penalty) was higher than the following years until 1967. 1967 has shown a considerable increase in murders since.

Name:  stats death penalty.png
Views: 221
Size:  131.9 KB

The statistics are from,
Crime in England and Wales 2003/04: Supplementary Volume 1: Homicide and Gun Crime, HOSB 2/05

Attachment 621980621982

The taking of life is the single worst thing, and to let criminals out after a few years, which happens more often than you think, says to society that we don't care if you get killed. Thus, murders will continue to increase, as they have done.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.57%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.69%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (89)
37.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.53%

Watched Threads