The Student Room Group

A level choices - Chemistry vs a language?

So basically, I chose my A-levels and put down maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Maths, further maths and physics are my three definite choices and they're not going to change. However, I've recently felt a bit uncertain as to whether to choose chemistry and am considering doing Spanish instead. I'm on target for an A* in both so that isn't an issue.

Obviously, chemistry is a much more logical fit with my other options than spanish. Also, I currently want to pursue a degree either in science (most likely physics) or maths. Taking chemistry would open a lot of other options within science while not taking it would severely restrict me, which is something I am worried about. However, I'm not sure whether I'll enjoy it. At GCSE, I've enjoyed it a fair amount. I wouldn't say it's been my favourite but there have been units that I have really enjoyed. I've tried looking at the A-level specifications but, to be honest, I don't really have a clear idea of what is actually covered so I really don't know how much enjoyment I'll get out of it.

Spanish, on the other hand, is a subject I am definitely enjoying at the moment, especially since I went on an exchange trip to Spain last year. I love learning a language and am naturally quite good at picking up the vocab and grammar. However, this option doesn't pair as nicely with my other choices and I'm worried that although it will open up language degrees, it will close off many science options. Also, I'm not a massive fan of doing loads of writing and again, I'm not really sure what the content and exams will be like. I'm good at essay writing but I wouldn't say that I enjoy it much.

So really what I'm asking after this long-winded introduction is if anyone can offer me any information about the content of chemistry and language a-levels and how enjoyable they actually are. Obviously, I may have a different opinion to you but I just want to see what other people think. I'm torn as to whether I'll enjoy either as well as to the doors they will open and close. Could anyone offer me some advice? (sorry for the slight essay)
Language a level is nice to do alongside sciences as it adds a lot of variety. If you're doing AQA you'll study 6 themes and a film/book, you get tested with a Reading/Writing/Listening paper, which is similar to the gcse reading and listening papers although obviously more challenging, it also involves translations and summarising. There is also a writing paper, which has translations (you are given a paragraph which has pretty much all the words you're asked to translate in it) and an essay about your film/book - I'm not a fan of essays myself but I really enjoy the essay exam, it's a nice challenge writing an essay in another language and also getting to write about a film is fun, the essay isn't that long I think the recommended is 350 words and you have an hour to do it so it doesn't feel too stressful. There is also a speaking exam where you are given 15 minutes to prepare answers to questions and then answer those questions and have a short non scripted conversation after.

If you're passionate about spanish, which it sounds like you are, i would definitely recommend it. Its challenging, yes, but so rewarding.

Maths and further maths is more important for physics than chemistry I believe, and languages are highly regarded by universities and employers as well as being a great thing to know.

I can't say much about chemistry as I don't do it, my friends who do all enjoy it but do think it's quite hard. It sounds like you want to do spanish more but are just worried about the consequences of not doing chemistry. I wouldn't worry about it, do what you enjoy and you should be fine
The youth unemployment in Spain is 42% and the overall unemployment is 18% so if you wanted to get a job in Spain, it will be hard. Another reason why you might pick chemistry
Reply 3
I'd drop physics and add a bit of variety with Spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Erjon
The youth unemployment in Spain is 42% and the overall unemployment is 18% so if you wanted to get a job in Spain, it will be hard. Another reason why you might pick chemistry

he's not saying he wants to live in spain just study the language
You can get more opportunities if you study a language and what im trying to saying is that spanish wont get him as much opportunities as chemistry
I picked Spanish along with biology and chemistry and for me personally it really broke things up nicely to have a bit of variety. Also, at university it could potentially open up a lot of year abroad options so can definitely be worth it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
do something creative to show that your an all rounder!! cause unis look fro social, clever and creative students!!

Original post by ecila21
So basically, I chose my A-levels and put down maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Maths, further maths and physics are my three definite choices and they're not going to change. However, I've recently felt a bit uncertain as to whether to choose chemistry and am considering doing Spanish instead. I'm on target for an A* in both so that isn't an issue.

Obviously, chemistry is a much more logical fit with my other options than spanish. Also, I currently want to pursue a degree either in science (most likely physics) or maths. Taking chemistry would open a lot of other options within science while not taking it would severely restrict me, which is something I am worried about. However, I'm not sure whether I'll enjoy it. At GCSE, I've enjoyed it a fair amount. I wouldn't say it's been my favourite but there have been units that I have really enjoyed. I've tried looking at the A-level specifications but, to be honest, I don't really have a clear idea of what is actually covered so I really don't know how much enjoyment I'll get out of it.

Spanish, on the other hand, is a subject I am definitely enjoying at the moment, especially since I went on an exchange trip to Spain last year. I love learning a language and am naturally quite good at picking up the vocab and grammar. However, this option doesn't pair as nicely with my other choices and I'm worried that although it will open up language degrees, it will close off many science options. Also, I'm not a massive fan of doing loads of writing and again, I'm not really sure what the content and exams will be like. I'm good at essay writing but I wouldn't say that I enjoy it much.

So really what I'm asking after this long-winded introduction is if anyone can offer me any information about the content of chemistry and language a-levels and how enjoyable they actually are. Obviously, I may have a different opinion to you but I just want to see what other people think. I'm torn as to whether I'll enjoy either as well as to the doors they will open and close. Could anyone offer me some advice? (sorry for the slight essay)
Reply 8
Thanks for all the replies, it's given me some things to think about. It will take awhile for me to reach a decision I'm sure, but I will definitely take your ideas and thoughts into account :smile:

Original post by jasminglynne
Language a level is nice to do alongside sciences as it adds a lot of variety. If you're doing AQA you'll study 6 themes and a film/book, you get tested with a Reading/Writing/Listening paper, which is similar to the gcse reading and listening papers although obviously more challenging, it also involves translations and summarising. There is also a writing paper, which has translations (you are given a paragraph which has pretty much all the words you're asked to translate in it) and an essay about your film/book - I'm not a fan of essays myself but I really enjoy the essay exam, it's a nice challenge writing an essay in another language and also getting to write about a film is fun, the essay isn't that long I think the recommended is 350 words and you have an hour to do it so it doesn't feel too stressful. There is also a speaking exam where you are given 15 minutes to prepare answers to questions and then answer those questions and have a short non scripted conversation after.

If you're passionate about spanish, which it sounds like you are, i would definitely recommend it. Its challenging, yes, but so rewarding.

Maths and further maths is more important for physics than chemistry I believe, and languages are highly regarded by universities and employers as well as being a great thing to know.

I can't say much about chemistry as I don't do it, my friends who do all enjoy it but do think it's quite hard. It sounds like you want to do spanish more but are just worried about the consequences of not doing chemistry. I wouldn't worry about it, do what you enjoy and you should be fine

Thanks for the exam information. It doesn't sound too writey then which is good for me. I had a look at some papers online which looked alright in terms of the type of stuff I'd be asked to do. If I decided not to do A level spanish, I think I'd still try to learn it a bit in my spare time. I'm still in contact with my exchange partner which is helpful as I can get a bit of practice anyway. In terms of chemistry and physics, chemistry doesn't really do much for physics applications but I'm more considering my options if I were to move away from physics. I'm not sure what I'd do instead but it would keep scientific options open. It's good to hear that they're both enjoyable options. Thanks again :smile:

Original post by Erjon

I doubt I would work out there but good to hear

Original post by justag
I'd drop physics and add a bit of variety with Spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't drop physics but I think spanish would definitely give more variety from having to think about maths and physics all the time

Original post by tryrevise
I picked Spanish along with biology and chemistry and for me personally it really broke things up nicely to have a bit of variety. Also, at university it could potentially open up a lot of year abroad options so can definitely be worth it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's another reason why spanish is appealing, just so I get to do something a little bit different that I also enjoy. And a year abroad is something that I've considered as an option.

Original post by unillama
do something creative to show that your an all rounder!! cause unis look fro social, clever and creative students!!

That's a good point but I'm not the most creative person and probably wouldn't do great with a subject like that. The only one I would stand a chance in is music as I play the viola but it's just not something which ever appealed to me for a level. But thanks anyway :smile:
hey, it’s been 4 years but i’m currently in the same situation of choosing between a level chemistry and spanish- just wondering which one you picked and if you have any regrets? Thanks