The Student Room Group

Extracurricular on medicine personal statement

Hi everyone,
I am worried about the hobbies/extracurricular reuquirements for applications. I have heard they like you to have lots of out of school activities so I am worried this will ruin my chances. I have hobbies I like to do socially like badminton and cooking and I am looking to join an adult netball team. Is this enough? I have never been the kind of person to be in a competitive sport team or play an instrument.
Med schools do like applicants who are able to show stuff like teamwork and leadership skills through extracurriculars, and from what I've gathered they also like applicants who are ambitious in other areas of life than school. Not having done impressive stuff definitely doesn't ruin your chances though. Med schools are far more interested in your commitment to and understanding of medicine, things like teamwork skills and empathy and resilience which give an indication of whether you'll make a good doctor, and your academic potential. In your PS and interview you should mostly reflect on your work experience, your motivations to do medicine and e.g. some extra reading you've done anyway. Briefly mentioning some extracurriculars can be useful and it can give you the chance to tell them about, say, a time when you were a good team member, but whether this happened in a national football team or some adult netball team is honestly not going to make or break anyone's application. As with work experience - it's not what you do that matters the most, it's what you get out of it.

Good luck :smile:
Thats the same as me and its been fine so far, as long as you have at least 1 or 2 strong examples of teamwork and leadership it should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending