srcfc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all, first-time post here and I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to provide any guidance.

I have been asked to provide a commentary on the following case/question: ‘To what extent are you satisfied with the reasoning of the courts in Royal College of Nursing of the United Kingdom v Department of Health and Social Security [1981] AC 800?'

To my understanding, I can choose to evaluate the case through any of the following so long as I back my evaluative arguments through primary legislature:

1) Consider how the Court of Appeal interpreted the phrase ‘abortion when a pregnancy is terminated by’ in section 1 of the 1967 act with respect to treatment more generally and/or remote supervision. To what extent do you agree that the Court of Appeal judges used the most appropriate method of statutory interpretation?

2) Consider how the Court of Appeal interpreted the phrase ‘registered medical practitioner’ in section 1 of the 1967 act. To what extent do you agree that the Court of Appeal judges used the most appropriate method of statutory interpretation? What if the register of nurses had already been in place in 1981?

3) Lords Wilberforce and Edmund-Davies both held that the Court of Appeal decision should be upheld. To what extent are you convinced by their reasoning in doing so?

4) To what extent are you satisfied that the method of statutory interpretation used by Lords Diplock, Keith of Kinkel and Roskill was the most appropriate?

I'm having slight problems knowing where exactly to start, how to structure the commentary, or what primary legislature or comparative law to look for to support my argument(s); so any help whatsoever would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Mimir
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello. If you could read the Sticky for this part of the forum and follow its suggestions, you would be more likely to get answers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (122)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.23%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.72%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.28%
No - I live at home during term anyway (127)
29.47%

Watched Threads