gofundme and university Watch

username2920378
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i am 17 and im looking for financial help to fund a mini course that offers lots of help to get me into med school, however, it costs more than £1000. I dont know how to get that money and family and school funds are not available. is gofundme a possible solution or will i be labelled a scammer as £1000 for a week long course is unconventional.
Kiimii
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the people who will donate money to you will probably end up being friends and family who know you're not a scammer
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Honestly you are better off getting a job and saving the money

I wouldnt pay the money until you are absolutely sure it will help you.

Not sure why people would want to fund you.
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rameow)
i am 17 and im looking for financial help to fund a mini course that offers lots of help to get me into med school, however, it costs more than £1000. I dont know how to get that money and family and school funds are not available. is gofundme a possible solution or will i be labelled a scammer as £1000 for a week long course is unconventional.
why do you need the course, sounds exorbitant
username2920378
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Honestly you are better off getting a job and saving the money

I wouldnt pay the money until you are absolutely sure it will help you.

Not sure why people would want to fund you.

you are right, if i were them id give my money to educate children in third world countries rather than pay for someones £1500 course..... but the organisation offers no bursaries for the financially underprivileged students as the 'cost is too high'.. I might actually try to find a job but im worried if it might hinder my studies
username2920378
Rep:
?
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
why do you need the course, sounds exorbitant

it is to help with the admission and application processes to get into medicine. my school offers no help whatsoever and that field is ultra competitive
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it is to help with the admission and application processes to get into medicine. my school offers no help whatsoever and that field is ultra competitive
oh im aware, im going through the gruelling process this year but 1000 is a lot there are cheaper courses, depends how comprehensive you want i guess
BrainyBengali
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If 2,700,000 people could donate 1 pence each, I'd be sitting happy.
(But that'd only cover my tuition fee - the maintenance one is another story )
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
you are right, if i were them id give my money to educate children in third world countries rather than pay for someones £1500 course..... but the organisation offers no bursaries for the financially underprivileged students as the 'cost is too high'.. I might actually try to find a job but im worried if it might hinder my studies
You are better off getting the grades and focusing on that, its crucial you get the grades in 2 year cycle. You can always reapply to medical school or take a gap. Virtually no one accepts resits.

Use TSR and take advice, sure there must be other resources and books you can use.
username2920378
Rep:
?
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
oh im aware, im going through the gruelling process this year but 1000 is a lot there are cheaper courses, depends how comprehensive you want i guess
same! good luck! the problem for me is that i havent even had any opportunities that would brighten my PS so it felt like this course could help
username2920378
Rep:
?
You are better off getting the grades and focusing on that, its crucial you get the grades in 2 year cycle. You can always reapply to medical school or take a gap. Virtually no one accepts resits.

Use TSR and take advice, sure there must be other resources and books you can use.

if im being honest, im more worried about the admission processes rather than the exams.... thats how desperate i am
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you sure the course will definitely help? It does sound a little dodgy, no summer school can guarantee to get you into medicine and at that price you could spend your money much better elsewhere...

I personally would advise looking into the many outreach activities universities offer to support students from lower income backgrounds etc. to apply to university/ med school There are also plenty of current students on TSR who would be willing to give you advise and de-mystify the whole applications/ interview process, give you their top tips and suggest how you could go about getting all the work experience etc. that many universities look for If you look online, there are lots of students running blogs or even youtube channels about med school with all there tips there for free - I doubt there is much more that a summer school could offer other than one-on-one writing your application for you and interview practice. Does your school have a careers department or any university applications advisors? Or if not, even your form tutor may be willing to check through your personal statement and give you a mock interview
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
same! good luck! the problem for me is that i havent even had any opportunities that would brighten my PS so it felt like this course could help
if youre willing to spend that much, you may as well book several cheaper events like potmed at imperial or look here http://www.helpmeimamedic.co.uk/upcoming-events
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
TSR can help you with the admissions process much more than any £1500 "course".

Go to the Medicine Forum and take advantage of the experts / past students freely giving their time and wisdom to assist applicants like you

>>> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195 <<<
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
if im being honest, im more worried about the admission processes rather than the exams.... thats how desperate i am
Then your priorities are wrong. Its not the end of the world if you dont get in first time round.

Cut your suit according to your cloth and use TSR plus research other sources to add to the expertise. Remember there will be a lot of marketing involved to sell you the course. people get through without it.
username2920378
Rep:
?
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
Are you sure the course will definitely help? It does sound a little dodgy, no summer school can guarantee to get you into medicine and at that price you could spend your money much better elsewhere...

I personally would advise looking into the many outreach activities universities offer to support students from lower income backgrounds etc. to apply to university/ med school There are also plenty of current students on TSR who would be willing to give you advise and de-mystify the whole applications/ interview process, give you their top tips and suggest how you could go about getting all the work experience etc. that many universities look for If you look online, there are lots of students running blogs or even youtube channels about med school with all there tips there for free - I doubt there is much more that a summer school could offer other than one-on-one writing your application for you and interview practice. Does your school have a careers department or any university applications advisors? Or if not, even your form tutor may be willing to check through your personal statement and give you a mock interview

thank you!!!! i will use free resources instead of wasting non exsisting money on a possible scam! thank you
username2920378
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
TSR can help you with the admissions process much more than any £1500 "course".

Go to the Medicine Forum and take advantage of the experts / past students freely giving their time and wisdom to assist applicants like you

>>> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195 <<<

thank you!!
username2920378
Rep:
?
Then your priorities are wrong. Its not the end of the world if you dont get in first time round.

Cut your suit according to your cloth and use TSR plus research other sources to add to the expertise. Remember there will be a lot of marketing involved to sell you the course. people get through without it.

thank you!!!
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need any course to get into medicine. You may work a bit harder than other applicants, but I applied with virtually no help and managed to get in.
Use tsr a lot (it provides a lot of useful information), buy some interview preparation books and focus on acing your PS.
I don't think spending that much money is worth it. It is true that medicine is competitive, but you can manage without all that.
I can help you with interview prep for example
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh god, please don't throw good money away lining some shark's pocket by paying for one of these courses. I can't believe your school offers no help... how persistent have you been?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (241)
14.9%
The paper was reasonable (901)
55.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (355)
21.95%
It was TERRIBLE (120)
7.42%

Watched Threads