Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Can I still go to Uni if I leave my HND course? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing HND graphic design. I did the 2 year level 3 course in graphic design which I got a distinction for and got 420 UCAS points. I'm really not liking the HND course and I don't feel that graphic design is something I want to do, I want to do film and visual effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason Mills)
    I'm currently doing HND graphic design. I did the 2 year level 3 course in graphic design which I got a distinction for and got 420 UCAS points. I'm really not liking the HND course and I don't feel that graphic design is something I want to do, I want to do film and visual effects.
    If you change course then your funding will depend on how many previous years you've studied.

If you're in the first year of an HND and leave then you can restart on a different course and that year on the HND will count as your "gift" year.

If you're in your second year of an HND then if you restart from scratch on a new course then the first year of the new course wont be funded. That means you wont get a tuition fee loan in your first year (but you'll get a maintenance loan). Year 2 and later years would be funded - so if you're in the second year of an HND then it is worthwhile trying to arrange to switch into year 2 of any new course (then you'll be funded for the whole of your new course).

You need to speak to universities about whether they'll accept you onto a new course with your current qualifications and if so whether they'll accept you into year 1 or year 2.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on my first year and my Final Major Project starts soon. I'm currently having issues with Student Finance so I want to get that sorted but it won't be in time so I want to leave altogether. So would I still get funded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason Mills)
    I'm currently on my first year and my Final Major Project starts soon. I'm currently having issues with Student Finance so I want to get that sorted but it won't be in time so I want to leave altogether. So would I still get funded?
    If you're still in your first year then if you restart then you'll be using your gift year - so any new course would be fully funded.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help!

Poll
Do you enjoy your job?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.